Favorite Turkish Food.

Rate this topic

So I was at Migros the other day and stopped at the deli counter and picked up some Haydari. It is sooooooo good. I just love it and want a recipe for it if anyone has one. It tasted like a mixture of yogurt, cream cheese and chopped fresh mint and maybe some garlic.

Here you are TalulahIngredients 1 lbs Yogurt1 bunch Fresh Dill1 bunch Fresh Parsley5 cloves Garlic Directions Whip yogurt (for thicker version, drain yogurt by filling in to cheese cloth over night). Mash garlic with salt add it to yogurt. Chop washed dill and parsley very fine. Mix them all. Spread the dip in a nice appetizer dish. Garnish with extra virgin olive oil. Serve with pide or warm lavash.

Edit: Lavash is also known as Yufka

..i just love iskender ..always been my favourite never seen anything to match it

Im with steve - Iskender from seckin lokanta in fethiye are to die for with fresh salad, chillies and hot bread mmmmmm!

Anyone had Kokorec? Not the right letters i know pronouned cockoretch? Sheeps stomach in a small wrap or bread - late at night after a few beers - loads of them open on our way home and very very tasty.

I find kokorec too greasey although it smells nice. Iskender is good, I often have it if I eat out.

I like your recipes fellas except for the olive oil. I'm afaid I just don't like the taste of it, virgin or not!

A Turkish food that I quite like, although I'm not usuallya veggie person, is Imam Bayilder (a guess at the spelling) and no I don't know how to make it, I'm quite happy for someone else to do if for me!

I find kokorec too greasey although it smells nice. Iskender is good, I often have it if I eat out.

I like your recipes fellas except for the olive oil. I'm afaid I just don't like the taste of it, virgin or not!

Sunny i have had about 3 of those kokorec now and non were greasy at all. The guy making them chops the stuff really finely on a wooden chopping block thats been well used, no grease at all to speak of either and with a bit of salad too.

A little chewy if anything but very tasty.

Got a recipe for that, Steve?

..well the way i do it Talulah, is on a metal plate ..i put a layer of of home made tomato sauce..(tomatos onions basil)..then a layer of pitta type bread cut into squares,then a layer of meat(chicken or lamb)..you can get this at the supermarkets(the doner stuff)dias does a good one, then a layer of fresh yogurt with some coriander..reapeat and grate some of that stringy cheese ..like mozzarella.under the grill till it melts ..sprinkle with parsley or corriander ..bobs your uncle ..i have tried this out with my turkish neighbours and they approve .and ask for the recipe :)

Oooh. I just remembered something I've been meaning to ask: You know the mussels they sell at most fish markets that have the slightly spicy rice mixture inside that they squeeze fresh lemon juice on right before you eat it? What is it called and does anybody have a recipe? I just love them. They go so well with champagne or white wine. yummy.

I'm so with Baykus! I don't like messed-about, greasy, fatty food. I just like a good quality, well grilled steak and chips if I'm not dieting. Although eating red meat too often is not good for the health, a once weekly hit of first class protein and amino acids....can't beat it. Sadly Turkey is one place it's hard to find good meat.

Talulah your asking about one of my very favorite Turkish dishes, I absolutely adore the Stuffed Mussels (Mydie) both me and Hubby can't eat enough of them when we go over to Turkey it's one of the first things we go looking for, (sad as we are) in fact I can admit we have spent

Why would you say that Benh?

Meat is plenty here.

I do agree with you and Baykus about steak, but I don't have any trouble finding it here.

But I do miss good pork meat.

Shame.

Sweet and sour pork or pork chops-snags on barbecue.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

:)

Regards,

Oooohh. Thanks Debbie. I absolutely love them but never even knew what they were called in order to look for recipes. I would just see them at the fish markets and run to eat them. :drunk[1]: Congratulations, you are now my new favorite member on this site. :) I will save trying to make Midye Dolmasi myself until I move stateside where I probably wouldn't be able to find a place that serves them.

I thought you couldn't get pork in Turkey? Or at least that finding it was very difficult. I remember seeing pork and bacon in Israel when I resided there but now the food police have banned it:)

You are right, hard to get.

That's why I miss it badly!.

:cheers1[1]:

Regards,