Sign in to follow this  
tatilbelen

Mosquitoes in Bodrum

Rate this topic

Well yes this question has come up loads of times. There are many different so called cures for mossies, i have heard drink Marmite everyday for 2 weeks before you come out (apparently mossies don't like yeast).

So i don't suppose you would go wrong with a few beers. Also the lemon cologne you get here you can pick it up anywhere. What i tend to do an hour before going to bed is spray the room (Raid). At least you will get a nights sleep (although many people don't like using this method).

If you have small children and use disposable nappies, get rid of them straight away (mossies love anything damp) also don't put to many lights on in the evening (that is just an open invite for the little b****rs (it attracts them).

If you have mossie-screens on your doors and windows, keep them closed, but the only sure fire cure for us is Skin So Soft by Avon (the blue one). Also garlic capsules.

Mosquitoes are a pain and the worst time for them is evening and night. As a Marmite eater I can tell you, it doesn't work! And no you can't buy it here, I bring it from the UK.There are lots of mosquito repellents for sale in the UK to bring with you or here in supermarkets. A popular one here is called "Off!"

As Steve says lots of people swear by 'Skin so Soft' by Avon and he has given you sound advice about windows, lights and damp things.

If you do get any in your room you have a better chance of catching them if your hands are wet. Don't ask me why.

As an experienced person attacked by mosquitoes every night, I can say there is one thing that helps really good. The spray called "Off!". You can get it normally in the smaller supermarkets there, but also the bigger ones must have it now.

Sometimes I also use the lemon cologne, this is only useful for a few hours. The Off spray works for 8 hours.

I just use mosquito netting over the bed. You can often buy it locally from shops that sell material, wool, ribbons etc. The best one that I every bought was from IKEA. At least you are not poisoning yourself as is with sprays and lotions!

The only problem I have with mosquito nets is they tend to hide in them during the day, same as air-conditioning units. I have several but stopped using them years ago. And I don't think skin so soft will damage you at all, and it seems the only thing that works well it does for us and also many people I have spoken to.

I must say that I found the best solution for night time is a mosquito net. The trick is is to leave it in place during the day and to make sure it reaches the floor so they can't hide under the bed, but obviously if you're just coming on holiday you can't go fitting nets over your beds. An alternative to spraying the room is to buy a plug-in dispenser that heats up the liquid repellent so that it permeates the room but is not noticeable to humans. These can be bought in supermarkets as can the ones where you put a fresh tablet in every evening. If you want to ask for them in shops/supermarkets say 'sivi sinek ilach istiyorum'. Sivi sinek is mosquito, ilach is medicine/chemical and istiyorum is I want.

I find that only those ampules of Raid that you plug in to the electric socket work. Mosquito nets are a horrible idea! There is no way you can stop at least a few of the blighters from hiding inside and imagine being trapped in with them at night! The other thing are those high pitched signals which imitate the sound of male mossies. If you can't find one in TR there is apparently one you can download onto your iPhone if you have one. I haven't done that yet but I might do when i go back.

I've just spent 2 weeks in Bodrum (June time) and to be honest I didn't notice any Mossies at all especially at night. But I always take one of those plug in devices that hold the mozzie repellent liquid and I have it plugged in all day and night..we also slept with the windows open every night (so bloody hot) but they did have a mozzie screen at them. I also take one of the body sprays you can get anywhere here (the smell is gross though) I wanted to try the Skin-So-Soft that Steve's recommended but didn't find anyone that did Avon in my area. But I would definitely give it a go, other people have commented about it.

Debbie, I'll take you in excess baggage when I go back in August :) Yes, that plug-in liquid ampule thing is the one i found works best. It must be bloody good if you can open your windows at night with it. Where I live you can only open the windows on Sunday night when disco-hell stops. Has nobody tried the sonic repellent?

Off! is the stuff to get also one called KOV here in the supermarkets in small translucent white-ish bottles with a big orange top. The Avon kit Skin so Soft is good too but not many places to find it here best to bring from UK.

I love Marmite too but never get bitten much anyway. Yellow light bulbs work too mossys don't like yellow? Also get some of those auto-jet type after-bite sticks. They contain ammonia but work a treat on bites and stop the itching dead. Little tip if you get bitten really badly - go in the sea have a swim - don't dry off just dry in the sun then get to your hotel and jump in the pool - salt water cures the bites and the pool water has chlorine which will ease the stings.

We also bought one of the solar powered sonic mosquito machines from British Airways, on a flight back to İzmir in January.

As you all probably know, they emit the sound of the male mosquito, almost inaudible to the human ear, and the females like to keep away from the males.

i recently heard that Avon catalogue 8 (turkish one) selling that dry oil spray for 8 lira half price (as opposed to 16 normal price) i have yet to find the no 8 catalogue in my area or a reliable seller but I'm onto it as i believe that stuff will work as everyone i have spoken to about prevention mentions this. You can get in off UK website in UK maybe I'm wrong 2 for a fiver but i guess u also have to pay packaging etc.

We have 2 or 3 nets on windows best thing for me. OFF is OK as well but didn't seem to last longer than about 4 hrs for me. but i have noticed considerably less mossies this year so far. Sometimes i get more on ankles and neck depending on what perfume I'm wearing, and I have lots, all bleeding cheap i guess...shame it doesn't put em off... at least something -one notices it.

I'll ask my neighbour about catalogue 8 as she used to be an Avon rep here in Turkey. I think I heard somewhere that perfume attracts mossies so you are better off giving it a miss.

thanks - i have once seen it in a shop window (right in the sun and along side nolonger sold products) i know the shop owners havent changed the shop window in over a year and i once heard mossy creams etc go out of date like suntan creams is that right? actually off the subject i have sun creams from yr or so ago n im still usuing them......do they go out of date really? anyone know this bit? guess i can look in google :hysterical[1]:

I don't know either! Yes Google it and let us know please.

ok found all this.........All the better insect repellents use DEET apprently, and note this:

DEET is very stable and therefore the US federal government for example state it does not require an expiration date. http://www.deetonline.org/

My guess is that if its in a can this will go rusty and the trigger will stop working before it actually proves to be ineffective. On the other hand, Off!'s site has this to say about one product: OFF!

Thanks chala. 

DEET is intended for use on your skin and can, in high concentrations, erode plastics and other synthetic materials

Plays hell with your nail varnish! They ought to sell toe and finger nail protectors for when you're spraying yourself!

The windless heat over the last few days resulted in increased mosquito presence, and we found that keeping a fan running all night in our room (mimicking the wind), blowing directly onto us, reduced the annoyance of buzzing pests and bites. Today there's a high wind, so I expect no mozzies tonight ! :blink:

Hi. I used to get loads of bites til I dicovered Mosquito Milk. It is a roll on that you run a strip across your bare bits and lasts for approx 8 hrs. Lots easier to use than sprays etc. Boots used to sell it but I have not seen it for a long time. I bought my last lot on the internet.Whatever you choose - have a great holiday.

One of the best anti mozzie methods is the fan!! Stick it at the end of the bed on full blast.Our little biting sinek friends cant fly in wind so stay clear. No aircon in our villa so we use fans all the time. Also make sure all their points of entry are covered - ie vent pipes in loos or shower rooms. Mozzie net the windows too - i leave mine open all night and the fans suck in the cooler air too.

that good news as we only have one fan and are lucky enough to have mossy nets on most main windows already. i have found after 2-3 yrs here that my bite swelling spreads less and becomes an intense red faster...not less itchy though and scab over more often than not ...sorry to be graphic...i have alos learnt not to scratch as much...but i wake myself doing it in my sleep...mainly feet ones are my worst....when i wear long skirts the buggers get trapped underneath n have a feast on me thighs....oh dear too much info.......lets see what the researchers come up with as a consequence of thier findings hey.... :drunk[1]:

How to ease mozzie bites - - go sit in the sea for about 30 mins then without drying off climb into a swimming pool with chlorine in it, i guarantee it will ease the bites and stop the infernal itching.You could also submerge the affected area in a salt bath then chlorinated water, but dont rub dry just blot them.