Sign in to follow this  
Sparkle16

Cooking Schools in Istanbul

Rate this topic

Hi - does anyone know of a cooking school in Istanbul, I did an internet search and came up with some foreign owned schools but they were generally 90 euros for one recipe and dinner. I am not keen on paying 90 euros to cook my own dinner. :) I am really looking for a woman or a man (shouldn't be sexist) who is willing to teach someone how to cook the Turkish way.

The Istanbul Culinary Institute have a cafe-restaurant near me. If their restaurant prices are anything to go by, I can believe the 90 Euro price tag. Whilst I think that is quite pricey, you can obviously make your own dinner can't you, Sparkle? Cookery courses teach SKILLS which we either do not have or want to improve on.

Sparkle...if you do try one please let us know how it goes. I cook a lot, and am considered by some to be a fairly good cook...but would love to do a one or two day Turkish cooking class. Being American I am used to cooking dishes from many different cuisines and I can follow a recipe without a problem...but sometimes some *inside* knowledge is hard to beat.

Addie

Oh yes, I can cook, in fact I am a very good cook which is why I am interested in learning "the Turkish way". I have found a beautiful Turkish cook book and I am scouring the city to find the necessary ingredients but I agree with Addie, the "insider" knowledge can be very helpful.

The 90 euro price tag was for the recipe, the lesson and to sit down and eat the food you have cooked in the classroom. I just think for that price, I would like to get more than one lesson and one recipe. It would be nice to be able to attend a few days classes and learn lots of different "tricks of the trade".

Addie - will definitely let you know how it goes on my next visit to Turkey.

Only one recipe? Yes, then I agree that's a bit of a rip-off. As I said before, they are a pricey outfit. I used to treat myself there from time to time and the shop assistants were all very young and totally gormless.

I had a quick look at this link and it seems very good. It's just like having your own cookery course and better than just watching on TV because you can stop it and go over bits again if you need to . :drunk[1]: Well found Sparkle.

Well I guess I can help first of all I'm a Turkish American who recently moved Istanbul Atasehir area (Asian side) from states I owned a french American fine dining back in Virginia but now I'm here. I love cooking and I'm really good at it. We can all get together or something or start a cooking club?