Importing A Car

Rate this topic

Hi guysI know this would have and has been covered many many times. I have read the threads here, though I have one specific question. When a car is imported to TR is the tax calculated on the value of the car in TR or the purchase price from the country of origin?

I am moving there in a few months just exploring ways of getting a cheaper car than what they are in TR. If not, ill have to bite the bullet and just buy locally.

Thanks allOsman

I don't know for certain but I think the value of the car is decided here in Turkey. I have asked our import expert if he will answer you query but as he is a busy man it may take him a day or two to respond.

But as you know from all the previous posts about importing a car all the people who have attempted it say 'Don't'. :)

Hi,I attach a document from Touring Services about the amount of tax to be paid when importing a motor car. Please note that this is determined according to engine size and model and manufacturing year of car.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,Taner

teminat.pdf

Thanks heaps - in addition to these taxes what else is there to pay to get these cars in the country?

Hi Osman.

I have a privately imported car although I did not import myself.

The other things to consider are the amount of Bond that Turing impose and Freeze in your bank account ( you do get the interest ) and the fact that if you leave the country without it then you have to leave it at the customs compound at your nearest port of entry.

Also if you travel a lot like I do then your passport will soon fill up with the stamps from customs/ car and you will need a new one.

If you want to buy mine ( Freelander 2003 model 87000 K ) then let me know.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Taner,I would like to import my 2004 BMW 530I to Istanbul for my dad as this vehicle has SALVAGE title with a value of ONLY 5600 US, what are my options to register it in Turkey and how much would it cost to transport it from Los Angeles to Istanbul, thanks

Hi Taner,I would like to import my 2004 BMW 530I to Istanbul for my dad as this vehicle has SALVAGE title with a value of ONLY 5600 US, what are my options to register it in Turkey and how much would it cost to transport it from Los Angeles to Istanbul, thanks

Hi Vaqua,It depends on how long you intend to use your car in Turkey. If you are bringing your car on a temporary basis, you can register it to your passport. However, if you want to use it for longer term and have Turkish registration, you have to get in touch with the Touring Services. I must say that I don't think 'Salvage' title of your car is going to make any difference in terms of amount of deposit you need to pay. Touring Services will simply look at as a 2004 model BMW 530I. You can tell roughly how much you would need to pay by looking at their 2008 guide price list. Unfortunately, I can't give you a definite answer in terms of shipping rates. If you get in touch with local company that handles international moves, they should be able to give you an accurate rate.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,Taner