Sign in to follow this  
Fil

Fan Or Air Con

Rate this topic

I am using a standing fan to keep cool because I prefer to have the windows open and because I assume it is cheaper than using the air con. Is that a false assumption? Can anyone work out the difference in cost?

I would guess and agree that it is cheaper because a fan only has one motor whereas an air con has at least three (inside unit has one fan, outside unit has one fan and a compressor).However, an air con will actually cool a room while the fan will only cool you if the air is flowing over you and evaporating your sweat.Personally I don't like air cons because they dry the air and cause me a sore throat and nasal passages. Until this year I only had a fan. Now, courtesy of my wife, I am saddled with an air con in the bedroom and I'm becoming a slave to it! But I only put it on for an hour or so before I go to bed.In last year's hot spell the drop in mains voltage in Kas was dramatic enough to stop the Bank ATMs working and my electric kettle took about 20 minutes to boil. That was all down to everyone turning on their air cons so the TEDAS people told me.

We find that the best solution is to close the doors and windows, put the aircon onto cold for 15 - 20 minutes, then switch it off and just have a fan in the room. That way the air temperature is reduce by the aircon and then the fan circulates the cool air.

We have 2 airconditioningunits, one in the livingroom and 1 in the bedroom.We never use the unit in the bedroom all evening and night: guaranteed my nose will be closed in the morning.Like KKW already mentioned: one hour before going to sleep open the airco, and the fan cools the air later :)