Biscuits

Rate this topic

I quite like the cheese flavoured matchstick type ones. :)

One of my favourites is the crispy, crunchy, ring-shaped Susamlı biscuits.

And moving the calories up a notch or two, I just love 'Vow!', the chocolate-coated caramel and nougat bars, produced exclusively for BİM where we do quite a lot of shopping.

My favourite are the ginger oat biscuits that you can only get in my kitchen! I make them myself in batches of about 2 dozen and sometimes only half of them survive long enough to cool! YUMMY!

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

My favourite are the ginger oat biscuits that you can only get in my kitchen! I make them myself in batches of about 2 dozen and sometimes only half of them survive long enough to cool! YUMMY! Now you are just going to have to stick the recipie on here!!! wish i could find one for Gingernuts like they sell in UK now those i miss!!

Now you've got me in big trouble Cukurbagli!

In my earlier post I omitted to mention Elaine's home-made Ginger Flapjacks or Ginger Shortcake. They're yummy, too, and much, much, much better than any shop-bought products (he says quickly and sincerely to make amends and avoid a night on the sofa!)

We'd like your recipe, too, please

You could be let off the hook because Fil did ask 'Which are your favourite Turkish biscuits'.

I wonder if Ben hasn't posted on here because he doesn't understand what we mean by the word 'buscuit? Pehaps we should say cookie? :)

OK I'll put the recipe up later. Yes those British Gingernuts (gotta be a song in there somewhere) are great. I've been experimenting but haven't got there with them yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Wow, the world of biscuits in Turkey is far more varied than I considered. Home-made ginger nuts are byoınd my wildest. And the cookies question is a good point, but I suspect Ben Densin's silence so far is either because he can only think of promoting Cola Turka, or else because he has such enormous knowledge of the biscuit scene here in Turkey that he is checking through his records before filling us in on the best fillings, crunchiness and taste. But I would also like to ask another question. Why do the Cadbury's chocolate fingers they sell in Kipa not taste anything like as nice as they do in UK?

I don't know but I'd guess that they are made under licence and they either don't put the same stuff in or they put it in in different amounts.

Re Ben, I don't think he's a biscuit/cookie man, now if you'd asked him about Efes/Tuborg etc then it might have been a different question. :)

I don't think chocolate tastes the same here anyway and I reckon it's because they make it to withstand the higher temperatures. Well that's my guess anyway, I went over to Meis the other day and got a couple of enormous slabs of Whole Nut and it's the same as UK. Not got much left now though :)

It doesn't taste the same. Don't you find Turkish chocolate and biscuits have too much sugar and too little flavour? I get beseiged by orders from Turkish friends for our biscuits and Cadbury's and I can't find Cadbury's in Istanbul but I shouldnt really be looking for it anyway :)On that topic: how do you guys pack your biccies in the suitcase so they don't end up in crumbs when you get back to Turkey?

• 1 month later...

mine are eti cin i think they are called....we have something similar in UK but dunno the name....has orange gel ontop and little choc bits too. u can get them in different sizes too ive recently found as i got one on my coach journey free!i like anything from BIM too cos its cheap....they do a whole BAD EVIL variety of naughty things to make me fat.i never ate these kinda things til i came to turkey....i also never drank tea til i came here too....and the 2 go so well together...damn it. B)

I like Etipuf, which are the marshmallow domes on a biscuit base - they taste a bit like Mikado biscuits from Ireland, which used to be called Jamboree in England (though you don't seem to be able to get them any more).

My maiden name was Jan Parry, so of course I like Canpare biscuits (geddit?). I used this as a bit of an icebreaker when introducing myself to Turkish colleagues...... Jan Parry, biskuvi gibi. I did get a lot of blank looks though !!!