Sign in to follow this  
Sunny

Fruit

Rate this topic

We have had a bumper harvest of, first of all eric (green plums) and now apricots. We have been supplying the neighbours who are all busy jam making. I made some too and it's not bad. ;)Funily though, some of our neighbours have not had much friut.

Turkish people like them under ripe and eat them with salt for some inexplicable reason. They also like almonds that have not been left to develop and eat them with the outer green casing on before the nut becomes hard.

We've found that the best time to eat them is just before they start to turn yellow. Then they are sweet enough and really juicy.I can't say that I like them when they are very green and certainly not with salt.

Those green plums are called 'can eriği'. Salt is added to moderate its very sour taste..In Turkey there are many species and varities of 'erik', cultivated or wild, some are only local. Once I lived in a village located on the Kocaeli Bay: people were growing 'can eriği' in the size of a small apple, yet as sour as their smaller varieties..With the limited production, they were sold only in İstanbul markets and I never met them again.Here in Fethiye there is a variety of erik that I didnt eat before..Big, red, juicy but not very soft, unlike other big plums. Also very aromatic.The egg-shaped purple plums are called 'm

Plums grow in Britain and are usually purple. The large variety are called Victoria plums and are favoured for jam making. Dried plums are called prunes. :)

I'm impressed to see you are jam making Sunny.We have 4 green eric trees and 2 purple, last year the trees were sagging under the weight of the fruit, also I have 7 cherry trees also which was over loaded with fruit, although we kept giving family the fruit a lot went to waste. So we decided that this year we would sell what we didn't want. Unfortuately, our trees came into blossom in November and the blossom was killed in the cold period. However, they did come into blossom again but most of the blossom died again, so we only got 6 kgs in total from all of them.Altogether we have 60 trees, mainly fruit and the rest are different nut trees it like living in the middle of an orchard, and looks like the only thing that we will be eating is grapes as the vines are bursting, and will have to wait and see if the 6 fig trees bring forth any fruit later.

Sounds lovely Abi. :)Yes, me jam making, must have had a brainstorm or what?It's OK, I've got over the urge now and have reverted to my normal self. :D