Sign in to follow this  
Cukurbagli

Gardening

Rate this topic

At this time of year my garden is full of long grass and weeds. The wild flowers have set seed for next year and died, wheat and barley from cow manure that I mistakenly bought has grown and the place just looks like a rough old field. Well this year I asked my neighbours, Mustafa and Hanife if they wanted to cut and store it for winter feed for their cows. They were delighted and came a few weeks ago to cut it. Unfortunately it has rained a couple of times so the drying process took a bit longer than anticipated but they came yesterday evening to take it all away. I'll bet the donkey had never had such a light load. Their children, Hasan and Zeliha came to help too.

Posted Image

They will be going down to their fields in the valley bottom to cut their wheat soon. A lot of the villagers grow wheat down there and as soon as it has been cut they go up to their summer pastures in the mountains near G

Lovely picture Cukur. A good one for your 'life in Turkey' book. :)

Thank you both.

A good one for your 'life in Turkey' book. :lol:

What a good idea Sunny :lol:

Love the picture!! We snapped an interesting picture that caught several local (and large) women stomping the cut weeds or wheat (?) into bale shaped forms and tying them into somewhat irregular shapes. They were having a good time too. No need for a mechanical baler.

Alice I sometimes think they sound as though they'd like to do the same to their husbands! :lol: