English Wife Applying For Turkish Husbands Private Health Insurance

Rate this topic

Is there anyone out there who is married to a turk (who works for bank or other Turkish organisation) and has thier husbands private work health -life insurance for themselves too as a resident of Turkey? how did you obtain this?

His bank have asked me to prove i do not have health insurance in UK. private or otherwise im unsure. what do you think they mean. My husband doesnt really understand UK healthcare system nor myself really and also i tried to state i am scared of being taken off a UK register if i open up this situation as i havent decided where to have my 1st baby if n when i may need or want to return to UK to use the NHS services.....

these are my details:

i have recently married a Turk

i do not have turkish citizenship yet

i do have valid residency

i do not work in the UK

i am still registered with my local doctor who thinks im travelling... i was keeping my options open

i do not have private health insurance from the UK or private life insurance from the UK

i have not worked in the UK or paid into NI scheme etc since around end 2007

i was a teacher so opted into the teachers pension scheme

i have not informed anyone that i reside in turkey as we hadnt decided until recently if we will stay or not

i need to add -the private scheme he has, allows us to free health care- but not always -its seemilngl always depending -but mostly free in whatever hospital we visit. eg. we can use it in devlet or private or be refered to a private hospital if devlet cant help us. it also is a life insurance policy and pays out alot to me if he dies. at least im presuming to me!

i had had a devlet health insurance book when i was working here in turkey beacause of my work visa but it obviously expires when your work ceases so i am effectively without any cover at the moment.

i am about to consider a trip to UK for cancer check ups this is why my query is rather important.

i had for too long just kept options open and i do not want to close doors i cannot reopen too soon

im not sure if this is relevant- i havent been to UK for over a yr and have not been to the docs since then meaning there is a possibility if i do go to the UK my local doctor will ask my status in the uk n strike me off his records....

my hope is as long as my husband works for the bank i will be able to feel secure on his insurance. Am i too presumptious to say i may even get better care here on that insurance than NHS......ideas also welcome.

thanks

Not sure how you can prove you have not got medical insurance private or otherwise in the UK, maybe someone else may know. Maybe you should just tell them that once you are a resident of Turkey you are no longer entitled to free UK Health Care, which is true and details can be found on the Web if they care to check, but as I said before not sure about private. :)

ok ive read on internet generally about healthcare rights- one place says if ur living abroad for over 3 months u cant use nhs - another site says 6 months then u lose entitlementthen i just found this and got freaked...very interesting read regarding healthcare rights for britsi may end with none at all!! anywhere then!it also still does not answer my senario really about finding documentation on my own personal rights to pass on to a Turkish insurance provider.a friend says as long as u have a UK adress u can be seen to be resident in UK. i have a uk address as i still have a uk bank account.

But i do not earn money or put money towards anything. its my mothers address as thats what so many do im told. My local doctor has this address to as he is the village doctor but he has not idea i am abroad all of the time.my partner is stressing me to get PROOF of this and that and he says why is it so hard to provide documentation as thats what hes used to in turkey and he says thats how they work here. dont i know it!whatever i do finally get will have to be translated too. am i the only person who is in this mess? helpi have also read that his insurance may not pay for pregnacy- birth care - as thats seperate here. not in his policy but others have suggested this to be the case.........uhmmmmmhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...-treatment.html

Charla

I lived in Turkey for nearly 2yrs and in all that time only came back to UK once for about 6 weeks, so according to what you have been reading I would have lost my rights to NHS.............. but really who the hell would know.

If while I was living in Turkey I had some need for NHS assistance I would have come back to the UK and visited my GP, who then would have sent me to consultant at the local Hospital, he would have had no idea that I had been living out of the country for more than 1yr, how could he know. The only way anyone would know is if I told them so.....

I'm not that silly........

Just because you may not frequent your local GP's surgery every other week doesn't mean to say you must be living somewhere else............. I have been living back in the UK for more than 3yrs now and if I didn't have to go get my HRT on prescription 4 times a yr I would have had no other reason to visit my GP in all of the 3yrs except for maybe 2 occasions.

As for private health insurance, I'm not sure how you can prove you don't have any in this country or any other, it's easier to prove you have Health care Insurance with the documentation.......

Can your Husband not explain to his work that in UK we have no way of proving we don't pay into Private Health Care, and can he find out if they would need to contact anyone in the UK to satisfy you don't have PHC.......

At least then you would know if it is possible for someone from Turkey to contact someone in the Health Authority's here............. if there is then decline their offer, as you wouldn't want anyone in UK Health Care system to know you no longer reside in the UK.............

I personally feel it's far better to have the NHS in the UK then to have private in Turkey......

• 2 months later...

Debbie, I don't agree about the NHS being better than Turkish private medicine. There are some very good private hospitals in Istanbul and I am having my mammogram done here. My elderly mother has to be in dire straits before she can get an appointment with the local GP back in the UK as he is so overstretched he only accepts real emergencies. Non-urgent people have to wait weeks for an appointment. My father couldn't get a bed in the NHS hospital when he was dying and as far as I'm concerned the NHS are basically sh*t. I had my recent op done in a private hospital otherwise I would have had to wait at least 18 months for it on the NHS and I could barely walk.

Hi benhI didn't say that our NHS is better than Turkish private health care, I would agree with you.......... in some area's of Turkey I think going private has got to be better I've even considered it myself, mind you it's because it was cheaper than private surgery in UK...........

I would hope it would be far superior to our NHS.... lucid stated that you would loose your entitlement to free NHS if you were out of the country for more than 3m, I was trying to say that how would anyone know......... it was only an example I used saying that if I was to return to the uk after living in Turkey for one yr and went to my local GP for (whatever) that how would they know I'd just spent a year out of the country so how could they refuse you Free Health care........ I didn't understand this.......slightly :) hope you have sorted out the flee problem and your on the mend......

Chala, you say your hubby is covered under private health insurance with the bank where he works -- but does this mean he's not paying pension premiums out of his pay (which the employer would pay direct to SGK) ? If he is, then he should be covered under SGK as well, and as his dependent you ought to be covered too.

We discovered (when my husband was out of citizenship for a while and had a Mavi Kart ), although he still continued to be eligible to receive the pension, a glitch in the system prevented health benefits (including pharmaceutical) to non-citizens, even though they are entitled under legislation (ie by virtue of being a dependent of an entitled person). Hopefully by now they should've fixed this, so it's definitely worth checking out. Just take hubby's kimlik along to a private hospital & ask them to check on their computers ..... easiest way to find out ! Good luck ! :)

I have private health insurance and SSK but I have not used the private for two years since the state cover got so good. Here in Antalya we can use just about any of the excellent private hospitals as outpatients on payment of 10TL (some departments it was 25TL because the procedures are more expensive). I was thinking of dropping the private policy, but decided not to for three reasons. Firstly, I am on an annually renewable contract, secondly, the system may change again, and thirdly, I have had private insurance long enough so that the company is obliged to continue insuring me no matter what.

ok i will re write that response i had an hr or so ago...i get it now.ok his bank have a private insurance company and that alone. he doesnt get normal ss (sgk) just the private one and pension all in one.secondly the bank req the consul to confirm a letter but admits it hasnt heard of a case like ours before... eg. UK thing -only other yabanic wives from russia and other countries......doesnt help me then.will see what pans out....worst case senario -we go to the hossy n pay as we go so to speak......either ptivate or otherwise....thanks meral for info.....(yes my case is a pain cos im married to a turk but still only with yabanci kimlik no) will get citizenship asa i can.

Now I don't understand, Lucid! I thought all legally employed people pay SSK contributions, plus tax which takes 40-50% of salaries, and there is a whopping great employer's contribution that is more than the employee's contribution. Surely everyone who pays to SSK is entitled to SSK cover? Or can big private sector organisations like the bank negotiate an agreement with SSK so the employer and bank only pay to the insurance company, not for health? But then what happens about pension and unemployment parts of the SSK contribution? I remember at one stage I was allowed to opt out of SSK contributions because of my foreigner status, which ı did, but it was a mistake, and it is no longer possible any way. Hmm, the mysteries of the social security system, beyond the understanding of mere mortals, any bean counters out there?

A Turkish friend of mine married a French girl and th Bag Kur people wanted a letter from the French authorities stating that she was not covered by French insurance. The French authorities don't provide this type of thing (same as most EU contries I believe) so a bit of constructive work on the puter provided the required document and now she's covered by the Bag Kur!

All NHS web sites clearly state that if you are not resident in the UK you are only entitled to emergency cover but this is not sufficient for the powers that be here!

fil...i find it hard to understand too. halkbank is connected to gov though as he tells, but has a private aggreement. seems its not common and when he was given his health card n number etc and we went for bloods for wedding test etc they had never heard of it before in one of the localish hossies but they ran in a number and eventually it was sorted (they are free anyway but they needed to check him online).....if knew of an easier way to explain it all im sure i would and husband doesnt know i use this site so i cant ask him to type the exact facts.....will add more if i know. oh he also said he will get a pension from them after 60 so its all internal and private........

Yes, I always thought the same as Fil, ie. that your insurance contributions when working automatically cover you under SSK. However, you could be right too, Chala, about hubby only being covered private and not under SSK, because ...... in the papers where they have doctor & hospital classifieds, (e. Milliyet Ege), the main hospitals list who is covered. For example, Batıg

• 2 weeks later...

the consul wouldnt verify anything ( this was required by insurance comp)-actual or translated letter or otherwise. they said its not something they do where this is concerned. they didnt go into it much further than that they just said go back to your bank insurance company and tell them what u told us. so we have to go back and beg to the bank private insurance company to see what else can we do to get me covered. boo hoo.....but if n when i need to i will go to my local hossy n see what fairs for me in an emergency! does dodgy mental health count as emergency?!... :drunk[1]:

Was the Consul supposed to verify that it was a "genuine" letter from the NHS ? Cos of course it wouldn't normally be their job to do that. What if you got it translated & notarised ? I can't understand why the bank won't accept the letter -- what reasons are they giving for this ?

yes the banks insurers asked for it to be verified by the consul specifically. so we went through the motions as they asked us to (as well as ask them advice in the process)....e.g. has anyone else asked them advice on this matter.the consul said \\(as we had presumed they would) which is, quote the NHS webs site as this shows where they stand on the matter.yes we had asked why a translated and notorised letter wouldnt suffice and at that time they had said it wouldnt....as i said there was a 'but' and that was that they hadnt had a brit marry a turk in this bank requiring the cover until now (uhm) so they would discuss it further after our consulate convo.....all process process.....will let u know more when i know more ok

• 5 months later...

Well I am also married to turk, my concern is to find the way to use his SGK, I have found my Yabanci TC kimlik numarasi. And next? Last year when we were trying to take that SGK book, officer also asked a document from consolus, that of course EU contries do not provide... Any idea what should we do ?

@Lucid>Wow, sorry to hear you having such a difficult time...

I hope things work out for you!

Slightly :) , but I was wondering if any expats have difficulties with the use of TriCare in TU and what is the process like, i.e, hospital stays, medications, visits, etc?

Thanks,

[[Last year when we were trying to take that SGK book, officer also asked a document from consolus, that of course EU contries do not provide...

Any idea what should we do ? ]]Drew, because the document they want (a waver stating that you are not covered by your home country's medical system) is not provided you will have to be a bit creative. I will PM you.

• 3 months later...

Hey all,I am currently having the same problem. My husband is Turkish and has been paying into the SGK system. As far as we were aware it is supposed to cover me and any children we have as his dependents, however, we have recently had problems at the hospitals with them saying I am not entitled to it cos I dont have a kimlik card (we've been married a year and I have a residence permit). This is really starting to stress me out as I am entering my 3rd trimester of pregnancy and although the prices are reasonable to 'pay as you go' I dont want to be having the baby worrying about any complications that could occur and the extra cost. I dont know if I would even be able to take out private insurance at this stage because I am already pregnant.

I was just wondering if the ladies on here managed to sort anything out? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The best thing to do is to go to your local SSK office and ask them about it. You and any children should be covered but this being Turkey you probably have to fill in a load of forms!

Have you got a Turkish identity number?

i thought you would be covered if as sunny says u have a yabanci kimlik number...also having a residency book im told also you can ask for a discount up to 50%..where did i read this?? here i think on the forum...

BUT i havent ever used this or asked myself....i cant help more as many people i know who have access to government hospitals choose to go for checkups to private hospitals who you can also pay as you go for reasonable prices.i think seeing as time is of the essence now sunny is right you need to ask directly to the providers of hubs insurance and research a bit more about this fee reduction with your yabanci kimlik no' and residency bookgood luck with everything :) (sorry my senario is not the same as yours and was in a way unique as it was private hence my response being limited)

Thank you both for your replies. I will get in touch with the relevant offices and see where I stand. I have heard different stories of discounts you can get if you provide your T.

C vergi number (which I have) but no-one seems to know exactly what I'm entitled to...its definitely a grey area.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.