Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Leaving Your House For A Few Months

Rate this topic

I'm leaving Istanbul soon to go home for a few months and wonder what you all do when you leave your properties? I am talking about security and other measures...Here's what I intend to do:1. Give a spare set of keys to my friend who works in this area so hopefully she can check it once a week and water the plants!2. Obviously make sure everything is shut and switched off etc.3. Take small valuables (jewellery and iphone) to bank safety deposit box.4. All the utilities are on direct debit so should be no problem.5. I will top up my phone card just before I leave so it doesn't expire. I will only be away for 3 months anyway.Can you think of anything else?

What about mail collection (your friend could do that too) ? And have you paid the emlak vergisi (council tax), due between March & May (unless it's included in your direct debits) ? We don't get a bill for that, it's up to us to go there & find out how much to pay (maybe it's different in Istanbul?).Have a nic holiday benh (although I know you're due to have an op -- hope that goes well!). :D

Hi Meral, Thanks for your input!The only mail i get is from my bank so I think I will go on their website and opt for the email statements. Otherwise, when they come here to read the meters they leave little tickets downstairs and my friend will probably collect those for me. They are all by direct debit now anyway.Thanks for the point regarding the council tax. When I bought this house the vendor said she had never had to pay council tax because this is a historical building. How much is it in Turkey or does it vary according to area?I am looking forward to going home now. I don't have any word and it is a bit lonely and boring. I'm lucky i have my sport and unfortunately I will have to have a big break from it but if I do some light exercises at home hopefully it won't take me much longer than a month to get back in shape in autumn.I won't miss the NOISE:( Nice to be able to sleep without ear plugs for once!

That's right Benhalterci you are tax free do to the fact that you are living in one of those historic buildings...As you are going back, I wish you good luck with your operation and hope you have a speedy recovery...

Thanks zehra...being tax free compensates for the noise I guess:))Thank you for the nice words everyone:))My dear trainer was less generous to me this morning. He said I am FAT (I am 58 kg and muscular) and wants me to lose my cellulite and pot belly (he squeezes my fat in the middle of everyone in the gym!) and basically ordered me to get to 52 kg by the time I come back to Turkey. *sigh* no vegging out in front of the telly and eating mum's home cooking then:)

I'm sure you've already thought about this, but close the main valve for the water. I never had to even think about this in the States since a pipe breakage is so rare there, but sure enough, when I left Turkey for a few months, a main water pipe broke. The people downstairs had to get somebody to break down my (steel) door, to turn it off. What a mess that must have been... I'm glad I missed it... that was, until I got back.

As a landlord in the US, well, I had to pay for stuff like that. In Turkey? The tenant pays.

Turn off your water before you leave.

Oh, and by the way Benhalterci.... have a WONDERFUL trip!!!

I think everyone has covered things you need to do. I hope you have a good trip and that your op is successful and you recover quickly.

zehra, thanks:)))Jozsika...my mum has just told me the bad news that they are going to be building an extension next door starting the week I come back:((( The only thing is that unlike Asmalamescit, the noise doesn't get worse at night there!

Have a good trip. When you get back I want you to tell me about how you are using an iPhone in Turkey. I was told to wait to buy one until I got back since the roaming fees would be so bad. Take care.

Thank you Karavik:) I am getting sick of being semi-disabled. I have to plan my trips so I don't walk too much and feel permanently exhausted with the pain and all.Alice; I bought the iPhone from Turkcell. It was a lot more expensive than if I had bought it in the UK but I didn't want to risk getting one at home and then bringing it back here and having trouble with it working with Turkcell's network.If you want to buy an iPhone and use it here in Turkey, try to get a tariff rather than pay-per-go which is more expensive. Like the Tapu, you will have to put it in a Turk's name since even with a 5 year Ikamet, Turkcell will not allow foreigners to use a tariff system. We can only use the cards which can be topped up. Beware you'll be topping it up a lot more if you get an iPhone and don't even think about a Blackberry since you have to register your phone with Blackberry and if you are not on a tariff, you have to pay a weekly sum for data use which is about 400 or 500 TL and that you have to pay weekly even if you don't use up the data.I still went ahead and bought it since I am an extravagant woman and as my lawyer put it, an iPhone is sexy!If you would rather be thrifty than sexy however......I'd pass:)

What's an iPhone? :animatedwink[1]: Should I get one?

Alice I'm sure you are already sexy:)Sunny s doing a wind-up..:animatedwink[1]:))) Be careful...we might believe you one day:))To be honest, I wanted a Blackberry which I thought was businesslike rather than sexy (image dears!) but because the data charges would have been much more went for an iPhone.In case you think I am a poser (!), the iPhone has a wonderful bright screen for those people like me with problem eyesight and...once you've tried a smartphone with a touch screen you'll hate the old traditional keyboard - or that's the theory at least:)

Stay focused:))) Alice, thanks for your good wishes:) I'm cleaning my Istanbul apartment now, not wanting too many uninvited guests of the bug kind when I'm away! I am in constant pain now, hardly able to walk or sleep with it...never mind..in a week's time I'll be under the knife!