Apostile for our marriage documents

Rate this topic

Application in progress to extend our 2 year residential ikamet. We are dual citizens of  the UK and Georgia.We have always used our Georgian passports in all our dealings in Turkey.We have been told by immigration office in Alanya that they need a apostile marriage certificate from Georgia now.I am in the process of arranging that now. When we receive it ,it has to be translated in Turkey and registered in Ankara.My questions are do we both have to go to Ankara or is it possible to do it by post ? Secondly is it better to have the apostile in English rather than Georgian,then translate toTurkish here. Thank you, 

If I may ask, where did you hear that it had to be registered in Ankara? I haven't heard of that requirement. What happens is when you get the apostille and the marriage certificate translated by a sworn translator, the translation is sworn before a notary. Then the translation and a copy of the marriage certificate is registered and stored in the notary's archive. At that point it becomes a legal document in Turkey, and the notary's office is the repository. So just having it in the notary's archive should be sufficient.

I don't see how it would matter what language the apostille is in before it's translated. All the apostille does is verify that the document was actually issued by the office that is supposed to issue it. It validates the source of the document for all other countries which are signers of the international Apostille Convention. If you can get one in English, it would probably be easier to find a sworn translator who can translate English into Turkish. I'm assuming that's why you want it in English. :)

Thanks for your knowledge Ken, the info came from the government office where the ikamet renewal interview is held. It is because we hold Georgian citizenship and entered Turkey from the UK using them simply because we were exempt from needing a tourist visa. Unfortunately a new law in now in place that all Georgians now have to have the marriage  documents apostile and then register them at the republic of Turkey foreigners office in Ankara. Common sense now tells me you are right in what you say, I will ask the gov office again on Monday, I think some info has got lost in translation with them. Yes ,you are correct, my thinking is much easier to have it translated into English in Georgia because I feel it will be difficult to get Georgian translation done here. Thanks for your help and speedy reply, will let you know how I go on when the apostile arrives.

Thanks for getting back to us on that. I hadn't heard that before. Perhaps it's a law which affects Georgian citizens or perhaps other countries as well. It seems strange to me because if the document is notarized, it's already an official record in the archive of the notary. And I can't think of any reason why they would require a separate repository for marriage certificates.  If you learn anything more on this please post it in this thread. Good luck with getting all of that taken care of! :)