Dolma

Rate this topic

I’ve been trying to make a special effort in the kitchen at the weekends. My husband came home with dolma leaves a few weeks ago and as it was raining yesterday here in Scotland I thought what the hell I’ll give it a bash. I’ve only ever made this with my MIL so I was a bit nervous about making it on my own; I mean I didn’t want to spend hours on something for it to turn out a complete disaster. In all it took about three hours to prepare and cook – I’m sure I’ll be quicker next time. Please note I have a young child who is rather distracting when she’s trying to pour her milk in to my rice or spilling it over the kitchen floor..... :hysterical[1]: . What’s that saying...you have to have eyes at the back of your head and the patience of a saint.

I taken inspiration for this dish from The Sultan’s Kitchen A Turkish cook book by Ozcan Ozan - I've also consulted my MIL. I am not advertising merely letting you know that I have taken inspiration this from his book. I’ve made some alterations which I think may add to the recipe. The rice mix can also be used for stuffing peppers or tomatoes.

Summer Dolma with pinenuts and currents / sultanas

Approx 55 dolma leaves

An alternative stuffing for dolma taken from my time living in Turkey:4-5 garlic cloves chopped and finely diced 1 teaspoon black pepper1 tablespoon of Turkish red pepper1 tablespoon or a handful of fresh parsley finely chopped1 tablespoon or a handful of fresh mint finely chopped3 tomatoes chopped and diced 1 teaspoon of salt (or a good pinch)1 cup of riceStuffing:Heat your olive oil in a large pan. Cook your garlic for a about a minute, add your tomato, onion, rice and 1

Another alternative is Yaprak SarmisiAbout 150gms vine leavesAbout 300gms minced meatSame amount of rice1 tablespoon of salca (tomato paste)2 teaspoons cumin (turkish tea spoon)2 desertspoons olive oilsalt pepperCook vine leaves for a couple of minutes to remove brine or , with fresh, to soften them a bit.

Stuff with the mixtureLine the bottom of a large saucepan with a few leavesLayer the stuffed leaves in the panPut a few knobs of butter on topCover with a few more leavesPlace a plate on top3/4 fill with water and cook for about 20 mins.

Serve with yoghurt.

• 1 month later...

Dolma....post-2543-1242856775_thumb.jpg

Hi there name-buddy :)I do hope mine will look as good as the ones in your picture! My brother is bringing his girlfriend from South Africa tomorrow, and now that my dad is gone all the Turkish Cooking is on me... I hope it won't be too much of a disappointment...

PS: I'm also making Sis Kebab, Ineg