Traveling Across Turkey from Istanbul

Rate this topic

Hi All ,

Im flying in to Istanbul this time instead of flying to Ankara as my partner would like me to take the bus/coach through the country to Aksaray.

I know i must be barking as its already been pointed out to me why take a 10hr bus journey when i could get to Ankara by plane in just 1 hr ?

The reason why is Turkey as we all know is a vast country and this time i am going for 3 weeks and this will be an opportunity for me to travel through the central regions and actually see a good part of the Turkey. Next time I can visit the southern regions then next time i could travel north etc etc etc but by plane im going to miss all this .

Anyway getting back to my question which will probably be difficult to answer is -

From actually leaving my front door at 0350am to landing at Istanbul subject to no delays I would have been on the road for many hours and not having any sleep the night i leave im going to be tired so i was thinking if i really need to stop off and take a break i would like to know if anyone knows of a suitable town/city that is approx 4-5 hours east of Istanbul?

The hard bit is i dont know what route the bus will take but we could always get off at a town somewhere and get another bus/taxi to a location anyone on here can suggest.

My partner is not a traveller in his own country and he says he is more than happy to stop off overnight somewhere but he doesnt know where because he's never done it and it appears they dont use maps simpley because they dont need one, they dont travel further than their front door lol.

So if anyone can think of a town in the central region approx 4-5hrs from Istanbul then i'd love to hear from you just incase .

Probably i will be so tired i'll sleep through the journey and miss the whole lot and so i might as well as flown anyway lol

xx

Hi JackieIs your partner meeting you at Istanbul airport? If so, why not spend the day there before travelling on?

That way you'll be more refreshed for the coach journey onwards to Askaray. And it will also give you the chance to see a little bit of Istanbul.

Me again!

Had to go out before the rains started again, was out of the basics, i.e. cigarettes, bread and milk!

Coaches from Istanbul Otogar, you can get the metro to there from the airport, will take you anywhere in Turkey. Loads of different coach companies to choose from.

Ankara is about 4 to 5 hours away, so you could stop there, if you do decide on stopping there, only buy your ticket for that destination, the cost is around 30ytl.

If it was me I's stay overnight in Istanbul!! in the Sultanahmet area, near the Blue Mosque!

Hi Penny,Yes we have thought of that but we wanted to spend the last 3 days in Istanbul before i flew back to the UK and thought it would be nice to stop off somewhere else.

I guess it depends on how i feel when i get there.maybe i will do the whole leg in one go and get it over with. i know his family are dying to see me again and i can relax the following day.xx

Hi JackieWhat time do you get into Istanbul? I know you've an early start from home, so you might get a couple of hours sleep on the plane. The journey to Askaray from the Otogar takes 10 hours with stops usually every 2 hours for loo and fag breaks. Don't do what my partner did and decided at a short stop to go to the loo after dithering, and I had to stop the driver from going without him. You must be getting exited now!

Hi JackieWhat time do you get into Istanbul? I know you've an early start from home, so you might get a couple of hours sleep on the plane. The journey to Askaray from the Otogar takes 10 hours with stops usually every 2 hours for loo and fag breaks. Don't do what my partner did and decided at a short stop to go to the loo after dithering, and I had to stop the driver from going without him. You must be getting exited now!

oh god if i got left behind id being in a right panic lol. he said the journey was 10hrs , you mean we cant smoke on turkish buses arrrrrrrrrrrrrh , stopping every 2 hrs isnt so bad i guess.glad you warned me about "short" breaks i get to istanbul around 1340hrs or there abouts thats why i wanted an early flight so i could get to turkey as early as possiblexx yes im getting excited but also aprehensive oooooh arrrrrh