Re-using my foreign phone from my previous trip

Rate this topic

Hello,

Six months ago I went to a trip in Turkey and I bought Turkcell local SIM card, the store staff took my passport and my phone IMEI to activate the SIM. 

I'm planning to go to Turkey again next month, and I would be already past 120 days since I purchased the SIM. I'm wondering if I have to register my phone this time or will it work since it's another trip? The SIM seems to have to stopped working, I got alert from Turkcell to register my info. I don’t care about the sim if I can get new one but I want make sure I can still use my phone in my next trip

Also I plan to bring mobile hotspot device with me. If I buy a sim to use with my iPhone then move the sim to the hotspot device, will it work ? Or the sim only locks to the one phone IMEI

Thanks

If it was only 6 months ago you bought the Turkish SIM card, your phone has likely entered the "passive" mode. 

Passive mode starts 180 days after you last put credit on, & means you cannot make calls but you can receive calls for a further 90 days.  If you top up your credit during passive mode, your phone will become active again.  If not, your SIM will be cancelled & you may have the option of buying your number back again up to 12 months (but not 100% sure of this), otherwise just buy a new SIM.  Not sure how things work if you were being billed monthly.The  following is from Bimcell's website.. :) 

Hattıma ne kadar süre yükleme yapmazsam kapanır?

Faturasız hatların geçerlilik süresini koruyabilmesi için düzenli olarak yükleme yapılması gerekmektedir. Son yükleme tarihine göre belirlenen Aktif Süre ve Pasif Süre aşağıdaki şekildedir.

Aktif Süre (180 gün): Son yükleme tarihinizden itibaren, 180 gün süresince hattınız hem arama yapmaya hem de çağrı almaya açık olur. 180 günün sonunda tekrar yükleme yapmamışsanız, hattınız dış aramalara kapatılır ve 90 günlük pasif süre uygulaması başlar.

Pasif Süre (90 gün): Pasif süre boyunca hattınız dış aramalara kapalıdır, sadece hattınızdan çağrı alabilirsiniz. Tekrar arama yapabilmek için yükleme yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Pasif sürenin bitimine kadar hattınıza yükleme yapmamanız halinde ise, hattınız tamamen kapatılır ve söz konusu hatta ilişkin Abonelik Sözleşmeniz iptal edilir.