Postage Service Or Courier In The Area? For Shipping An Item Safely To The Uk

Rate this topic

Tstorton

Hi ThereI have just got back from a week at a lovely villa in the Dalyan area, but I left a vital item of equipment in the villa.

The villa owner has retrieved the item for me but he is not sure about how to ship it to me safely and reliably.

Does anyone know of a secure and reliable postage service or courier in the area?

I would be most grateful for any recommendations.

Many thanksTony S

DON'T, under any circumstances use the Turkish mail system. There are many private courier services in Turkey, including Purolator, Fed Ex, and UPS, as well as a lot of reliable Turkish companies.. These companies will do a pick up, and will get your item to you. No problem.

Zehra I think so many of us have had mail go missing whether it's from or to Turkey that most of us recommend people not to send anything valuable by post.

Sunny, you dont send valuable things unattended or second class, Do you?

Just read the services available from Royal Mail in England and you will see what I mean...

The magic is the more you pay the higher the chances of scoring....

DON'T, under any circumstances, use the Turkish mail system. There are many private courier services in Turkey, including Purolator, Fed Ex, and UPS, as well as a lot of reliable Turkish companies.. These companies will do a pick up, and will get your item to you. No problem.

I'm 100% with you on this one. I've sent items by post and they have never been received. If I have a used a courier I

• 2 weeks later...

another idea is trust someone from the forum who will come to uk then post it or give it to u inperson. depending on where u live. thats of course if it aint a personal diary of your passionate night in turkey worth publishing.....joke;-)i always come touk empty handed cos i cant be doing with suitcases so some people if its nit illegal item of course can carry it in hand lugggage for u. maybe safer than post altogether? or am i like snail mail ideas here?

Well I must admit, my words were too strong. However I mailed several packages from the US, and none of them arrived, they were all sent back, and I was never notified to pick them up. One ended up in customs, and I had a certain number of days to claim it, but since I wasn't notified, my package and its contents were disposed of. Kind of made me angry! Seems like with the address on the boxes, they could have sent a few notifications that the packages had arrived, but I never received any notification. Then, I went all over town trying to figure out which post office they were supposed to be delivered to. It was only after tracking down the post office where they were and asking about them that I learned they'd all been returned (with postage due) or disposed of. I should have softened my words, although personally, I won't use them again.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most on this point - i have never received any mail sent from UK via PTT it has always gone missing?? Still waiting for xmas cards from three years ago!.

If i need anything from Uk i get either friends or relatives to bring it out when they come over or if its urgent i use a courier firm from the UK - expensive i know but online tracking is a bonus and never had anything go missing.

Although not knocking the PTT in general - all my phone bills and Internet bills always arrived on time, except now they have gone 'paper free' so i have to print my own out now.

phone billshow do u print out ....my hubby went to ask for paper one- cos he wants to prove i make calls not him.!!....but we had to pay to go paper. if i knew u could see a breakdonw online i wouldnt have asked him to do this.....what have i missed here? of him not understood.... we just got phone -internet at home so can do. for phone bill this is...i mean is it with calls listed or just totals and extra charges.....thanks

That you make calls shouldn't be an issue Chala, he's with his family and friends here so doesn't need to phone them but you have to keep in touch with yours.

• 3 weeks later...

But I like more insight because I use their services and I really like to know how the posts fail, so that we take precautions….

Could you please inform if your posts was ordinary type from USA or ?…

They were from the US, seven of them, and they all arrived at the post office in Izmir. They just didn't tell me they were there or where to go get them. Yes I know they were supposed to notify me, they just didn't, or they left the notification lying on the steps or on a desk in the lobby like they often do, instead of putting it into my mailbox. Or they gave it to the Kapici and he decided to throw it away for some reason. In any case, it was a very loose way of handling mail, and I've seen this kind of stuff in other places where I've lived in Turkey, so it's not an isolated case.

After waiting for two or three months, I went looking for my packages. All were sent back, two were taken by customs, who held them for 30 days (or something like that) and disposed of the contents. They were lost. The others I had to go back and get on my next trip to the US, and had to reimburse my sister for the return postage she had to pay. I just stuffed everything in my suitcase and brought it back.

Sorry for the delay, I missed your post on this one!