Sign in to follow this  
istanbulac

Eating in Istanbul

Rate this topic

Hello All,

I am a Black Sea food junky. Muhlama, black cabbage sarma, cornbread, hamsi bread, laz boregi... I could keep going. Anyway, I read this really good review of a little dive restaurant in Beyoglu called Pera Sisore on a blog called www.istanbuleats.com. Great place, great food, great price!.

Hello Istanbulac,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy!

Talking about food in the Black Sea region means talking about cabbage, corn, potatoes and Hamsi.

My word, what wouldn't they do with them; I mean, Cabbage; Cabbage soup, staffed cabbage, boiled and stir fried cabbage, pickled cabbage, cabbage casserole (a dry dish)... Corn; corn flour (used in all soups and to fry things), crashed corn (in almost all dry dishes), corn on the cob (boiled and barbecued in every household when the season comes) and "muhlama" or "kuymak!"

We are going to Trabzon in May and Istanbul in June...

I hope to be able to try some of this lovely sounding *nosh* while we are there!!! I make cornbread from a Turkish recipe...would like to see how the treal thing compares to mine. Thanks for the tip on the website....

Addie