Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Security Advice Needed

Rate this topic

I am leaving Turkey for the summer months to have an op which means I will be in plaster for about 8-10 weeks and I don't fancy climbing up 3 flights of steep marble stairs in this old house on crutches:))The question is about security. I have 2 doors - the original wooden door with 2 locks that was on the apartment when I bought it and another grille (wrought iron) door I had put in when I moved into this apartment.I was having a conversation with the man who lives on the first floor. He is a wealthy Turk who has had a 6,000 TL wooden look security door put in and he sneered about my grille door and I told him that even his pricey door can be broken into by clever thieves. The people who sell these doors even say that.He invited me to contribute to the CCTV system he and my neighbour on this floor are having installed. The idea is to have a CCTV camera at the entrance to the apartment block and for each person who wishes and pays for it, to have a CCTV camera in their apartments.He said it would cost me 'about' $200 which is okay if it does some kind of job but I don't see how it can stop anyone from breaking in. The only thing is it would help the police identify the burglars. Am I right here? Plus I have been bleeding money ever since I came to TR and earning zero so I am not keen to spend anything other than I consider absolutely necessary.

Not sure really, the only thing I can think of is if this camera is put in the entrance, and if you were unlucky, well at the end of the day who ever would be caught on film anyway.

I would just make sure if it's possible that nothing of value was left in the apartment whilst you are away

I think that the camera works as much as a deterrent to thieves as an aid to catching them after the event. No matter what security you have if the thief is determined enough he will get in. Just, as Abi says, don't leave anything valuable there.How do you manage about insurance as I thought the insurance companies put the insurance in the same name as on the Tapu?By the way Gecmis olsun. Hope your op goes well and you recover quickly.

Abi, Sunny thanks:))My op isn't until the summer but I raised this subject today since my neighbour invited me to buy this CCTV camera thingy.Yes of course I put my jewellery and iPhone in a safe deposit box at the bank. About the tapu problem - when I took out this insurance policy, the lady at Intasure said I am not the first Beyoglu resident with this dilemma. The insurance attaches to the house itself and not the owner so it covers any loss pertaining to the house and as I am the policyholder, I am entitled to claim for such loss. Regarding the CCTV camera, if they are going to put one downstairs in the entrance, that is surely where the deterrent part would come in. If they still persist despite the camera in the entrance and my two doors then yes they really are determined. In my long summer absence, I will ask my friend who works near here to look into the apartment occasionally - also to water my plants!

Bushman thanks for the input:)I will think about it but the vendor lived here for 10 years without any problems and she didn't even have the extra grille door. The CCTV is not a physical barrier but only a psychological one i.e. a deterrent. My point is that the thieves will see the CCTV in the entrance to the apartment block and that would be the deterrent ifyou see what I mean. No need to have one in my house and to be honest I don't fancy having a CCTV camera looking at me in here - I would feel as if I was on permanent webcam or something!

CCTV is all well and good but why do you all have to subscribe to it?If someone is going to pay to have the front doors watched why do you need to bother? not as if you can access it whilst away or do anything about intruders either.Also is the CCTV system going to be covered by a UPS system in case of power failures? Just the type of thing a potential thief would love during a powercut i would think.May also be worth asking a turkish lawyer if any footage would be admissible in a turkish court too.Besides we all know if a thief wants to they will always find a way to break in and i have not heard of many who break in through the front door.I had a three tier set of ladders nicked from the rear of my villa and could not have been stolen by one person alone. They would have needed a truck/van to get away with them but nobody saw anything???

There's an old story in security. Two campers were awaken by a marauding bear who was coming after them. One stopped to put on his sneakers, and the other one turned and said "what are you doing? we have to outrun the bear!" The first man replied, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun YOU!"Thieves of course look for the easiest mark, they're seldom focused on one specific place. You're on the third floor, which is a plus, I always live on the top floor for that very reason--only one way in, through a steel door which is always locked. That is, unless they can climb the security bars on the floors below you! Your camera would tell you who is in the foyer or stairway, and if it's visible it would be a deterrent, and indicative to a thief that the residents are perhaps more alert than in other places. Camera or not, I don't open my door until the person on the other side tells me who they are and I can see them through the peep-hole. If I don't know who it is, I don't open the door. Or if they're at the outside door, I walk to the balcony and talk to them from there before letting them in.All security measures should be considered in view of "time," that is, the time it will take someone to get through it, as well as the racket they have to make to breech it. The more time it takes, the more risk there is to the thief, and the more time someone else has to report it and have the police respond. A safe's security is often measured in "time." Even the purpose of an armored car is time, it takes more time to shoot out a window or defeat the armor, which is more time to get out of the situation.It's a matter of "putting your sneakers on!"I don't see why a grill door would really give you that much less security, depending on how strong it is, just make sure you don't leave the keys in it! A lot of people have doors with windows in them, and the lock on the inside works with a knob instead of a key, and they leave the key in it, so someone can quietly break the window, reach through, and unlock it!I'm pretty sure there are places who can sell you a simple door alarm for a lot less than the CCTV for the times you might not be around, might be an option.I can certainly empathize with you regarding negotiating the stairs, I also live on the third floor and had a broken leg last year! It took me some time to learn the technique of climbing three flights of a spiral staircase. I used to have to throw one crutch onto the next landing, hold the other crutch under one arm, and use the railing with the other. For the first few weeks it was a matter of going up and down step by step on my butt! Thankfully I had someone to go do the grocery shopping for me and he really looked out for me. I wrote about it in my blog. Well I hope you recover quickly!

Scream - thank you:) Yours is EXACTLY the point I wanted to make - and one of my Turkish friends agreed too. To be honest, the guy who invited me to have a camera is a slimey type and wanted me to buy his apartment which he wanted a LOT of money for and it's on the first floor and even noisier than this one:) Call me a cynic but most people unfortunately have agendas. He's not one jot concerned about little ole me - just wants a financial contribution to this kit when they buy it. The old gentleman who lives on floor below me has the old wooden door and that's it and he is away a lot. The people on the ground floor ditto. Of course they could prise off my grille door should they want to but as you all say, it would take time to get through two doors. I have no balcony and there is a sheer drop from my windows so I don't have window bars. Ben - that is why I am having my op done at home - no way could I survive here on crutches!

Benhalterci - I figured as much! Ha ha Yilan springs to mind.Just for info i have used some security bits and bobs with my computer.I have some software that uses the webcam to watch the premises and if anyone comes into its preset range - ie on to my veranda or anything it will send a message to my mobile. I think it used a modem for that but pretty sure it would now handle email so any web enabled mobile should do instead.I did use it a lot in the UK when i worked away from home as i could also login to my computer and see it live in realtime from elsewhere. I would say it would be ideal if you can use with a laptop with UPS backup to ensure it still works during a powercut.I have not used it here as our power sems to go out for longer than the UPS can handle although i have been told by a local computer shop here it is possible to extend UPS time by having it connected to a car battery - up to 12 hours, so i may just get one of them converted and give it a whirl.

I thought it was just Istanbul that had frequent power cuts:) I get them regular as clockwork over the weekend:( Not surprising as I live in an entertainment district.*sigh* I have to confess to ignorance about your last post Scream...what exactly is UPS?Your technical set-up is admirable but as usual, you are streets ahead of me in the DIY field and I don't think I could handle something like that.I will post a note to my next door neighbour and the girl who lives upstairs just to keep an eye out in summer when I am gone. Other than that it's simply a question of keeping fingers crossed. I have complied with all the requirements of my insurance policy and at least I don't have a balcony or veranda to worry about. But central Istanbul is central Istanbul and we are near the infamous Tailabashe region which is a sort of criminals ghetto apparently.

Theres another post somewhere about UPS but basically its a box with a battery in it and it charges up whilst the power is on - you can normally plug in a computer and a phone line to them so when the power goes off it will keep the computer and phone line on using its battery.They dont last too long but most laptops have batteries in them anyway but digital phones do not.However where i live the powercuts last a lot longer than the UPS can supply power for until i have it converted to run on a car battery.These systems are ideal for use if you are running security software on a laptop that needs to be on 24/7 - most UPS are set to switch off the computer if a long powercut occurs so thats no good unless you can get the computer/laptop to reboot after a power failure and run the program again for you.Not many peeps are techie minded to sort this out as it requires a 'script' (Program) to be written to run when the computer reboots and run the security programs for you so the easiest answer is to use UPS.Hope that explains it a bit better.

I saw a clip of a house invasion this week on one of the talk news shows. A woman checked on her pets at home on her computer at the office and was horrified to find four people wandering around her house looking at her stuff. She called 911 and within minutes the police had surrounded the house and captured the four teenagers including one neighbor. I was really impressed with the closed circuit tv system she had and found on google this url that describes how easy it is to install something like that. I think I will do it when I get home. What is $200 compared to piece of mind. Here's the url I found: http://www.video-surveillance-guide.com/30...ance-system.htm

Thats exactly the type of program i have too - it cost about the same as well.Mines called Gotcha - and it does exactly the same thing.I once had an ongoing argument with some company who said they had delivered a package to my house in england on a specific day and a specific time and were demanding payment - that was unitl i sent the days recordings to them showing no one but freinds of ours arriving and leaving from a live webcam feed.