Aynur Uyghur

Name Change After Marriage

Rate this topic

Hello, 

Please help me with this. I am an American citizen. I got married in Istanbul, but without my concent., violating my human rights, they gave me my husband's last name on marriage certification. 

I and my husband do not want to add his last name to mine, but how do we do that? FYI, both of us are not Turkish. After marriage, I did not change my official name anywhere, but I Am afraid it will be a problem when I am applying for my husband's US immigration visa. 

Please help me , 

I appreciate. 

So it's just that somebody printed the wrong name on your marriage certificate? Have you talked to the person who did this or someone from the office where he works?

Dear Mrs. Uygur,

According to a law passed by Supreme Court Law General Assembly in 2015, even Turkish Women can keep their maiden name providing that they open a lawsuit at the Family Court, so I dont see any reason that law is applicable to you as a foreigner. I hope this information helps you.Regards.

Thanks for kind response. I was told by the people who work in evlendirme dairesi, that I need to file a lawsuit  with a lawyer, and even if my petition is accepted, it is not for changing my marriage certificate, but just to give me permission to use my maiden name privately, and I still need to change my ID , ect. 

As a foreign student living in Istanbul , I can't afford few thousands dollar only for getting permission to use my maiden name privately. I also consult with lawyers, they told me it needs few thousand dollars to file the petition, and so far two women won the case. 

I am infuriated , and I do not know what to do. I still did not make any changes to my any official records.  

Regards,