Turkish Residence Permit Fee Refund

Rate this topic

When my husband and I applied for our residence permits in Istanbul this year we both requested 2 years, and paid the appropriate amount. As the apartment is only in my name I was granted two year's residence and he only got one year. We went to the tax department where we paid the fees originally, and they told us we had to go to the main GOC office in Faith and get a dilekce to confirm we had paid (the tax department wouldn't accept the photocopied receipt). I rang 157 and they confirmed this is what we had to do but GOC refused to do this, and then the clerks gave us different reasons - there's a new law, you can't get the money back, go to the tax office and so on. I know from people living outside of Istanbul that it is possible to get the money back. I even had my fees refunded some years ago when I couldn't go ahead with my application. Does anyone know the relevant legislation that I can quote, or anything useful that might help? Thanks.

The only information I have has to do with a rejection for a residence permit. It says to do what you did, to take the rejection document and receipts back to the office where you paid the fees. I don't know if that's considered by the tax office to be a completely different situation or if that procedure is obsolete or handled differently in Istanbul. I don't have any additional info concerning cases where a person gets only one year instead of the two full years. 

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help, I just wanted to let you know I've checked my records and don't have any additional info beyond what you've already posted.

If you do find out what the current procedure is, please post it... then I can refer people who have the same problem to this topic in the future.

Theoretically we should just have to show the residence permit application form asking for 2 years, the card showing he got only one year and the copy of the receipt showing he paid for two years. However that didn't work. I will let you know if we are successful elsewhere or with another method.

• 2 weeks later...

I just remembered something. In Istanbul, when somebody applies for a residence permit, they give them a tebliğ tebellüğ belgesi (communiqué document). Both the immigration officer and the applicant sign it. Part of it states the following (translated to English):

As a result of your application for residence permit, the documents and other information in your file will be evaluated and your residence permit may be given or deemed negative by the governorship within the period deemed appropriate. The fact that the fees you have paid in accordance with your application for residence permit will not be returned in accordance with the Law No 492 on Fees, that this notification document has been explained and communicated to the foreigner or legal representative in the language they understand,
The minutes of this communiqué have been signed by us together below.

So if you signed one of these, there's no refund. It also may help that it also cites the law regarding this, number 492.

Hi Ken, Thanks for sharing this information. We both signed one of these but were only told it was confirmation we'd submitted all our documents. No mention that the fees wouldn't be refunded if the application was unsuccessful or only one year granted. This makes me quite angry as you can imagine and also, why is it only in Istanbul. Why should we be discriminated against due to where we chose to live in Turkey.