Temporary Recipe Section - For Those Too Hungry To Wait

Rate this topic

aliwake

Strawberry Jam

Strawberries never seemed to last long when I bought them in Turkey (a day or two before they turned to mush). I actually hate waste and have been brought up to finish everything on my plate. Anyway - making homemade jam was a good pastime and an excellent way to recycle old strawberries.

For this recipe you will need:

1kg of strawberries

1.5 kg of sugar (if you don’t have caster sugar normal sugar is fine)

The juice of 2 medium sized lemons

Put all the ingredients above in to a pan and bring to the boil slowly – boiling until the fruit is tender

Cool the mixture and when ready for pouring stir continuously until the berries are mixed well through the jam.

Pour your mixture into jars.

This jam is great on bread or served with rice pudding etc.

Banana and walnut loaf

This is an old family favourite; my Turkish family loved this tea loaf so much that I would double the ingredients and made two!

100g of butter

75g of walnuts chopped (I crush mine in a sandwich bag with a rolling pin, it’s quicker)

225g of self raising flour (I had to add baking powder to plain flour when I lived in Turkey – not sure why I couldn’t find SRF!)

175g of caster sugar

2 large eggs beaten

3 bananas mashed

A good pinch of salt (less than half a tsp)

Cream your butter and sugar, add eggs and mashed banana - mix well. Once this is mixed add the walnuts and fold in the flour and salt. The mixture is now ready to be poured into a greased loaf tin.

Bake the loaf in a preheated oven 160 degrees

Hi guys sad.png

I would like to ask for some help from anyone out there that cooks Turkish bean. My husband and I went to a friend’s house for dinner last year. He cooked an amazing bean dish with what I think was a Borlotti bean. I have recipies from my MIL but i wanted to try something different. Anyway our friend has moved and we have temporarily lost touch so I can’t contact him for advice. Does anyone have any good bean recipes they would be happy to share? I have a cupboard full of bean waiting to be cooked –help!

In the meantime I would like to share another salad recipe:

Turkish shepherd salad

Chop approx 200g of tomato in to small pieces (we use cherry tomatoes for this salad)
1 or 2 Turkish cucumber peeled and chopped roughly in to small pieces
Roughly chop a handful of flat leaf parsley
1 spoonful of Turkish sumac
Half a finely sliced red onion
You can add some crumbled feta cheese to this dish –if you are watching your weight, omit the cheese, this salad is delicious without it.
Make sure all your ingredients are chopped in to small pieces; add them to your serving dish. Mix the sumac well with your salad. Some people use oil and lemon when they serve this salad but we find it’s delicious without it, especially if the sumac is good quality – the flavour is amazing.

This web site that has lots of information about Turkish food and culture

DEAD  LINK

If you go to the ingredients section you will find a list of popular Turkish foods’ and translations; this might help make life a little easier at the bazaar!

I recommend the Red lentil Kofte recipe on page 5 (Ben-H you might be able make this without the bulgur). I like to serve this dish with both lettuce and lemon – just a suggestion x

Here is Addie's good baked bean recipe from a forum topic on what we miss from home the most. I just did it and added sliced mushrooms. I didn't have the banana peppers but I did have one green pepper. I didn't have tomato paste but I did have some sauce to add to fresh tomatoes which I stewed separately and added after the beans were tender. It is delicious. The best bean recipe I have tried without pork.

Hi Alice,This is my adaption...taken from several recipes online for baked beans...had some for breakfast this morning and they tasted pretty darn good.1/2 kilo while beans soaked overnight. Rinse put in large pot cover with cold water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for about an hour stirring occasionally...until the beans are tender.

Sauce:1 tbs molasses (use brown sugar if you don't have molasses)1 tsp dry mustard (use wet if you don't have the dry)2 tbs tomato paste1 chicken stock cube400 - 600 ml of watersalt and pepper to tastestewed tomatoes (6-8 depending on size) or a can of tomatoes (we don't often use canned tomatoes here)Saute:2-4 onions6-10 cloves of garlic (optional)6-10 green banana peppers3-4 carrots gratedAt this point I use a slow cooker but a pan on a low heat or baking will work. Combine all the above. In the slow cooker I cok them for 6-8 hours, the oven would be 3 hours or so...and on top the stove a couple I would imagine. Every time Ia pot of beans I can't say hand on heart I follow this to a tee....depends on what I have on hand at the time.

We enjoy them....hope they work for you. Addie

Alice...here is the website that has the Turkish corn bread I mentioned....

I lived in the southern USA for a number of years and have tasted a lot of different recipes...this is one of the best as far as I am concerned.http://almostturkish.blogspot.com/2006/09/...r-unlu-kek.htmlI hope that you enjoy it!

Addie

OMG, that sounds delish!! My cornbread recipe is so different. Cornmeal, plus, S/R flour, plus eggs, sour milk or cottage cheese or yogert, melted butter and a can of corn with red peppers. Very easy and good comfort food. Your recipe is in another league, I think. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Alice...

I never have put the seeds in...so I haven't looked for them here. They must be available as I see them on bread and bread products here. I use whatever white cheese I have on hand, I think they are all a feta *type*. If I know I am going to make the cornbread soon I will often buy a bit less expensive cheese for it than we normally have on hand...my husband loves his cheese and some of it gets rather expensive. It's a very forgiving recipe...

I always seem to have to add some milk by the way...as it should be more a batter than a dough....

I hope that you enjoy it!! Addie

Thanks, Addie. I think I can put it all together now. Since your husband enjoys cheese, maybe you can give me some cheese guidance. So far I can only discern between two categories, white like breakfast cheese and pale yellow hard cheese which I have used for omelets and mac & cheese. My husband thinks the hard cheese is too strong. Can you recommend something more like cheddar? Recently we found cream cheese. Is there thick cream for whipping? Going to the grocery store has been an adventure. I will look for those black seeds in the spice section. ;-) CHEERS, Alice

Hi again Alice...wish I could be more helpful with cheese...but we love the strong yellow *eski kasar* and we also get a aged white that is called *eski Bergama*...eski means old by the way. I do use *taze kasar* (taze means fresh) for my pizza rather than trying to locate mozzarella, which is scarce and expensive when you can find it. We keep saying we are going to try and make some, but we haven't quite gotten there yet. Let me know how the cornbread turns out. Sorry if I am telling you things that you already know about the language....one never knows. Addie

I've made leek and potato soup many times in the past although I don't put onion in it. It has a delicate flavour and it can be served cold as vichysois (spelling may be iffy). I made some and gave some to one of my neighbours one day and without tasting it she covered it in pul biber!!! I was not a happy bunny.

She thinks she's the greatest chef in Turkey and doesn't like foreign food (without trying it).

Hi EveryoneI've just been reading the thread for one our Newbie's "Justinelove".....she's attached her blog for anyone to read, I had a quick look and one of the links takes you to a very good Turkish Recipe site... I've had a look and there's some great dishes on there so I hope no one minds especially Justinlove but I've copied it for you all to have a look at......

I've printed off a couple of recipe's already to try.......... hubby's going to think he's died and gone to heaven when I've done feeding him all these new Turkish dishes...http://www.turkishcookbook.com/index.php

I've made leek and potato soup many times in the past although I don't put onion in it. It has a delicate flavour and it can be served cold as vichysois (spelling may be iffy). I made some and gave some to one of my neighbours one day and without tasting it she covered it in pul biber!!! I was not a happy bunny.

She thinks she's the greatest chef in Turkey and doesn't like foreign food (without trying it).

Hi SunnyThis made me laugh. My husband generally hates soup but he likes my homemade potato. He always covers his potato soup in Turkish red pepper. Maybe it

My husband is that same Yasemin, everything is covered either with red pepper, salt or black pepper so as you say it must be a Turkish thing. I have high cholesterol and now have my own bowl of salad as my husband covers it in salt before even tasting it.

My Husband used to be the same everything covered in the pul biber stuff, but I ask him to try first because I have already added Salt, pepper's spices etc...... he very rarely uses pepper stuff now, just adds a bit more salt sometimes...

I think it must come from eating the Turkish foods at home, I've tasted his Mums food and other Turkish people's food and to be honest I find most of it tasteless, they don't seem to cook the food with any salt, pepper or spices, it's all added after it's dished out....

We have had some of our Turkish friends over for food, (they own local Kebab shop) and they say my food is very good, very tasty, better than restaurant they say..........it's because I'm actually cooking it with the extra flavours, I think it makes all the difference.....