Importing Classic Motorbikes

Rate this topic

Hello everyone I am a semi retired computer professional man who has found his way to this lovely country with quaint and weird laws. I have collected over the years a number of motorcycles in the U.

K. and am trying to understand what it costs and how it can be done to bring one or 2 motorcycles here to Turkey. One is a Moto Guzzi lemans 1986 1000cc. The other is a Triumph Trident 1966 750cc. I am in Turkey on a temporary visa from the airport. My partner is English, a home owner with her own company in the koy lands.

post-2557-1235203062_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the form Nick.

If its the same for motorbikes as it is for cars then the answer is that it has to be taken out of the country every 6 months over a 2 year period, after that I think you cannot bring it back into Turkey for another year. Also a bond is put on the car, which is returned eventally. It is a complicated and expensive business and if you are thinking of living in Turkey on a permanent basis most people decide it is not worth it.

I just found this, it covers cars and motor bikes and was discussed recentlyhttp://www.turkeycentral.com/index.php?showtopic=3815

:wub: Welcome to the forum Nick.

I'm afraid it's not good news. Importing vehicles into T is costly and difficult. The same rules apply to motorbikes as to cars.

Information from the Turkish Consulate London about a retired person bringing in a car to Turkey.

In accordance with the Turkish Customs Regulations If you are a retiredperson and have a resident permit, you are allowed to bring your car (in order to get a temporary plate for your car, the car must be left hand side) intoTurkey and keep it as long as you live in Turkey. First, you shouldregister your car to the Turkish Touring and Automobile Club and obtain atemporary entry carnet for foreigners from them. You should submit thefollowing documents to the Turkish Touring and Automobile Club. 1) Yourpassport, 2) your resident permit, 3) your official retirement documents(should be translated into Turkish) 4) Your car's registration documents 5)giving a guarantee, either a form of a letter from your bank or cash. You are asked to provide a bond either in cash or a letter form for the value of your car's current market price.

Once you have obtained your carnet you should go to the nearest head of the customs office where your residency is and register with them.

Alternatively, if you are a tourist visa holder as a retired person you can bring your car into Turkey and keep it in Turkey up to 12 months period.

Please note that, If you are British citizen, you can only take British registered car into Turkey.

Sunny many thanksfor the informatio. When i say i am retired. I am only 45 years old and do not have to work, I am here only on visa. Which i renew each 3 months. does this change thingsRegardsNick

Hi Nick, this is what I had to do in Antalya.

Firstly I bought a car off my German pal who had imported it into Turkey.

Doing this is different from importing yourself but the basic's are still there.

No import tax was paid on the car and it must be changed to Turkish Plates. Next you have to register the car with the customs at Port of Entry.

Then to Turing who will give you a Carne ( at an horrendous cost for each bike ) next you go back to Customs who do a lot of Paperwork and then send you to another Customs office for more paperwork.

After this you go back to the original Customs office who will stamp various bits of paper and then you have to go to the Traffic Police.

Total cost for my car was 1800 TL and as somebody else said they take a Bond off you which in my case was 70,000TL. It's not worth it mate.

As much as you love them, sell them before you arrive.

Ian

Sorry Nick for slow reply. Yes it alters things. Click on Abi's link and read the post that our customs expert Taner bey has written there.

It's not for the faint hearted (or poor). :(