Hot Off The Press

Rate this topic

Morning peeps - hope these links work for you.

I got 11 hours notice to do this - http://www.sondakika.com/resimli_haber.asp...resim_id=659134http://www.sondakika.com/haber-emekli-ingi...esi-borazan-ve/Wouldnt mind a quick translation if anyone feels up to it - although i dont think i got a mention even though the photographer never asked for my permission for a pic.

Scream

Nice to see what you look like Scream.

They tend to bury people here very quickly, mainly I think to do with health issues in long gone ages. A couple of years ago one of my Turkish uncles died of a heart attack, it was very unexpected as he hadn't been ill. Anyway, he died at 02:30 and was buried by 16:00, so by the time we arrived in Istanbul we missed the funneral by 1 hour.

The same thing happened here - although the one i played at was about 5 days but there was another local Turkish person buried the same day here and had only passed away that morning.

Quite odd the way things are done here as that was the 2nd funeral i have played at in 2 years.

The first one was an ex-pat but there was an english -ish style to it with an english padre who sort of followed the normal rules etc. The other one was in the turkish style but no one had any idea of what happens or protocol etc so was slightly off cuff but it went very well in the end.

My condolences for the family of one of our expats who died... I always hate to see it, but it's an inevitability for all of us, unfortunately.

As I understand it, that quick burial has something to do with Muslim tradition. Do you know anything about the Turkish/Muslim method of burial? I have a friend in Cesme who is an atheist, but he said that when he died, he wanted to be buried by the Muslim tradition. I asked him why it made any difference to him, he didn't know how to answer the question, he just told me that he wanted to be buried that way, here in Turkey. It seemed to mean a lot to him.

If you are a muslim you have to be buried before sunset. As to your friend wanting to be buried as a Muslim he probably thinks it will stop him from going to hell.

When we lived in the UK my husband said that if he died he wanted his body to go back to Turkey, it was very important to him too.

Hi All,Please excuse my ignorance here , the photos appear to show the burial taking place in a woodland, can people be buried where they like or how does it work. This a subject I know nothing about except like already mentioned muslims get buried very quickly after death

As in so many things the Jews and the Muslims have a lot in common with the rituals of death. Yes, burial is quick because it is healthier for the living rather than having bodies laying around in a hot climate. Jews can be buried in Israel if they choose, but we have many Jewish cemeteries around the world and are never buried in a place that is not designated as a Jewish burial ground. Cremation is not an option for orthodox Jews, not sure about Muslims but I think it is the same, and gifting your body to science or organ donation is not acceptable to the orthodox community either.

Just thought I'd pop that thought in....

Hi All,Please excuse my ignorance here , the photos appear to show the burial taking place in a woodland, can people be buried where they like or how does it work. This a subject I know nothing about except like already mentioned muslims get buried very quickly after death

Hi KangalKid,Yes you are right it is in a wood but its the local cemetary and is a great location in the village. As i said this is the 2nd time i've been involved in one and the first one i did was the same. That too was in a woodland area or should i say the cemetary is actually inside it. This seems to be the norm round this area - Fethiye. I have heard of a christian chuch being built for expats somewhere in the mamaris/bodrum area and a crematorium for use too. I will have a dig around and find out the proper info if you like as it was on another forum i saw it.

Just one note on these local burial sites - the different cultures are actually kept apart in diferent parts of it if you get my drift.

My condolences to the family especially as he was relatively young an 56.

I think he was buried in a cemetary Kangal not in any old woodland.

I dislike the quick burials, seems indecent haste and I wonder how many people have been buried alive because of it?

It doesn't have to be on the same day before sundown in fact I know of several cases where it happened a couple of days later. One was a neighbour of ours and they waited until his daughter arrived from the States and within the last few years some Muslim heads of state have died and their funerals were a day or two later. (King Hussayin of Jordan, Yasser Arafat)You look very smart in your uniform Scream and you gave your ex military friend a good send off.

I dislike the quick burials, seems indecent haste and I wonder how many people have been buried alive because of it?

I feel exactly the same Sunny, in fact I have always had a fear of it happening to me, and asked my husband to leave it a couple of days before I'm buried.

Many thanks Sunny, I just couldn't see anything around that indicated further burials , albeit it was the background.

Yes of course my condolences to his family , how shocking to hear he was only in his 50's.

• 3 weeks later...

Cremation is not an option for Muslims. I've no idea if it's possible for expats, although I expect there must be some place. Muslims must be buried by sundown, and usually within 2 ezan calls of the death, ie about 8 hours. Everyone is used to this, and would find it very distressing to have the funeral delayed. Note that after a body has been ritually washed and wound with the cloth, it isn't possible to embrace or touch the body--my friend kissed her husband's cheek, and he had to be ritually cleansed again. Organ donation has been endorsed by the religious authorities in Turkey.

Because the whole matter of a death is all in the control of the belediye (municipal authorities), a doctor's certificate of death is required, (strangely an autopsy is rarely requested, even if the death is very sudden) and the body must be buried in a designated burial site. Christians can only be buried in a Muslim cemetary with special permission, and this is difficult to get sometimes. This can cause problems for families if e.g. the children want to lay their (foreign, Christian) mother to rest with their Muslim father in the family plot. These are all regulations for the main cities in Turkey and customs for Sunni Muslims. I don't know how strictly they are enforced in remote communities, or any other variations that village societies may have, I live in a large town, thank God.

• 4 months later...

Saina,My wife says that cremation has never happened to anyone she knows. I read recently that there are no crematoriums in Turkey but that a funeral operator (cenazeci?) or undertaker in Turkey wants to build a crematorium for foreigners. It was going to cost around a million US dollars. Organ donation wishes can now be placed on Turkish driver's licenses and according to my wife she recalls a fatwa (legal Islamic opinion) which states that very religious (dindar) Muslims can now give organs. Unfortunately this recently happened to a member of my wife's extended family, a young woman was killed in an auto accident and they found recipients for several of her organs.

HobbitTR

As in so many things the Jews and the Muslims have a lot in common with the rituals of death. Yes, burial is quick because it is healthier for the living rather than having bodies laying around in a hot climate. Jews can be buried in Israel if they choose, but we have many Jewish cemeteries around the world and are never buried in a place that is not designated as a Jewish burial ground. Cremation is not an option for orthodox Jews, not sure about Muslims but I think it is the same, and gifting your body to science or organ donation is not acceptable to the orthodox community either.

Just thought I'd pop that thought in....

My Husbands Grandma died last October, she was in her late 80's she outlived all her 5 sons and her own Husband she was always covered and even at her age still knelt 5 times a day to prey............she passed away in her sleep Friday night Saturday morning, but she wasn't buried until the Monday........... seems even religious ceremonies like everything else in Turkey has one rule for one and another for someone else.........