Hakan85

21 Day Military Service.

Rate this topic

Hey there my name is Hakan from Melbourne, Australia.

I was born in Turkey and raised in Australia.

I don't have a citizenship or passport from Turkey but since I was born there I am eligible for one.

Moving to Turkey from Australia has been on my mind a lot lately.

About the 21 day military service after I pay the exemption fee.

What's it like?

How was your experience?

If you haven't been has a friend of yours?

Thanks for reading.

- Hakan

A young man I know finished his "tour" last September. According to him it was relatively painless. Everyone he spent time with were "short-termers" and older than the average 18-year-old draftee. My friend was not enthused about going, nor participating in what was required of him, but he did not feel it was very difficult for him. He is an adventure tour guide and is in very good physical shape which helped him also. His description seemed like a mild version of my experience in the US Army basic training. They had rifle range one day, they learned how to march, wear the uniforms, and waited in line a lot. He said the harassment was very mild but he heard that in some places harassment bordered on being cruel. So many young "patriots" signed up for this program that they had to expand the program to several bases around the country. Do you speak Turkish? If not, you would be at a great disadvantage. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hey there thanks for the response.

My Turkish is ok for 80% of daily interactions but if was instructed to drop and do 50 push ups.

All I would understand is 50.

Which would be a challenge because Turkish people would not take kindly to people born in Turkey and not being able to speak the language.

And if there's written or reading assignments, then that's going to be a problem.

Did you recall your friend mentioning any missions/assignments where reading and writing were involved?

Thanks.