Sign in to follow this  
retired

Driving from Tasucu To Alanya

Rate this topic

The coastal road between Tasucu and Alanya is a long, winding coastal road along the Mediterranean, going through hills and various towns along the way. It's a beautiful drive with some beautiful sea views. I enjoyed the ride when I took that road coming from Incirlik to Mersin, then to Antalya. It looks like it's about 100 kilometers or so by the map. It will take longer than expected because of the curves, towns you pass through, and some up-and-down in the hills.

You'll also encounter quite a few slow-moving trucks, and be careful on the blind curves. Expect people to be passing vehicles in the other direction without much thought to oncoming traffic, and keep an eye on the right side for a place to go just in case you need it! There also aren't always guardrails on the "cliff" side. So it's important to keep your eyes open, and I wouldn't recommend the journey if you're tired or distracted. I would also recommend that you don't take that road during the night or in bad weather. The road is in reasonably good shape, I don't recall any particular danger involved, but driving anywhere in Turkey requires a more heightened sense of awareness because of the more aggressive driving style in Turkey.

The speed limit is normally not posted on roads like this. All over Turkey on a highway like this, the speed limit is 90 km per hour. In town the maximum speed is 50 km unless otherwise posted. I've gotten a few tickets from not watching my speed!

Traffic enforcement is normally done by police checkpoints, sometimes operating radar, and sometimes just to check for license/insurance/registration. In rural areas it's done by the Jandarma. They'll signal you if they want you to pull over. If they do that, it may just be for a routine check.

Have a look at this article:

Thank you Ken. Not unlike it is here in North Cyprus. No problem whatsoever with the driving, that is as long as you don't need to know if the car in front of you is going left right forward backwards. Still I think we will need to take the road.

What a nice forum this one is. None of the smart-ass nonsense I have read on other.

I gather from your post that you are in Northern Cyprus I don't suppose you'd like to tell us a bit about life there, similarities to Turkey and differences, as I don't think we have any other members there.

North Cyprus? Well, you know the ropes then! You'll be taking the ferry into Tasucu. I spent a few days in North Cyprus, a lovely place I think. You'll probably experience very few differences, and you'll have a lovely drive. It's probably the most enjoyable road trip I've taken in Turkey. You'll see some nice (and inexpensive) fish restaurants along that road with some great views, so if you want to stop for a nice meal, it's worth it.

I also thank you for the comments, please spread the word about us if you can. We're a small community but growing, and we have some wonderful members here, I see you've noticed the lack of frivolity and rudeness among us and the willingness to help others. I'm glad you're one of us. Let us know how your trip goes, and if you need any help in Alanya let us know.

First thank you so much for your help. What we intend doing is to travel by ferry. If we can make it in time we shall go from Cyprus to Alanya. And because the Alanya ferry will have stopped by the time we want to come back we will, I think, go from Tasucu.

The main reason for the ferry and not flying is because we will be in Turkey for three months we are taking our little dog with us (daft, one might say) but after the life this little man had before he found a home with us was well sad but true. There are hundreds, no thousands, of stays over this island that need homes.

Anyway I was asked if i would like to say what life is like here in the TRNC (North Cyprus).

Like so many places things here have now become very expensive. In December, we paid our road tax on a nine-year old 4x4. 1,450 TL. The yr before, 650 TL. You can now imagine how many are now for sale. 

Electric has gone stupid. We where told it would come down, and yes it has a little, but your heart has to go out , not so much to the Cypriot, but the many mainland Turks who live here.

I would be the first to say we have had a good life here and love the island, but sadly more and more containers are going back to the UK.To be able to get residence here, you apply every hear for six years (that's if they don't change it again).

Because many younger people (by younger I mean late 30's 40's, 50's) you have to show income, or monies in the bank enough for you to live. With the cost of living rising at the rate it is, and savings disappearing quickly, its proving hard to show that they can afford to stay.

So why not work? I can hear many saying, it is almost impossible to get work of any kind. Remember work permits. I would say to anyone that may be interested in north Cyprus, log on to the TRNC villa owners' website.

You can catch up with many of the things happening here. I would not want to go into it all, as my husband and I are one of the more fortunate ones, with Roads Water Electric Title deeds and permanent residences.

But at the end of the day we still are thinking Turkey and the Alanya area, because we have found, for us, the weather is so much like it is here. And after all we are only a stones throw away. And and after seven years we love the sun, hence the three months, plenty time to think, leaving England for us was easy

But Cyprus? we will have to wait and see. Once again thank you, and I hope to hear from you again.

Well it's my pleasure to help, that's what we're all here for in this community! Do you think you'll move to Alanya? I'd be interested to know which place you think is better, or worse for various reasons, since I only stayed a few days in North Cyprus. It's getting expensive in Turkey as well, although I don't know why, I don't know how the locals afford it sometimes. When you get to Alanya and get a feel for things, would you mind posting something about what you think of it as compared to North Cyprus? I'm wondering if it's cheaper or more expensive there, among other things. Whether in Alanya or in North Cyprus, I hope you'll always feel at home in our little online community! :(

This is a suggestion for when you get here if you have not already. About 40Km before you reach Alanya is a town called Gazipasa which I call the Gateway to the real Turkey. This town is much cheaper than Alanya and is only 40 minutes drive away so is an easy commute. The locals are very friendly as I have friends who live on the coast there at a place called Koru (I hope I have spelt that right). As you will find with all the Brits here we are a very friendly bunch and if you would like anymore help just ask and I will do my best (with the air of my British friends) to put you right. Maybe I will see you at Sunday lunch one day.

Thank you for your reply , no we have not come over yet , we will be on one of the last ferries to Alanya from Cyprus [ north ] in Oct then go back Jan from Tasucu , when we over last year we did go to Gazipasa on the bus , we were only there for a short time ,had a ice cream [ how sad is that ] and took the bus back . we loved the coast road ,and are looking forward to going back the 3 months will give us a lot of time to think our way forward , for us leaving the Uk was easy , but not as easy leaving North Cyprus , what we do have is time . May i just add what a lovely forum this is , i have received only friendly advice ,and nice words , and yes both my husband and I would love to meet you , having been here for 7yrs among Turks , many proved to be the best friends we have every met and would miss , but we would welcome any help and advice . Once again Many thanks