Importing From Turkey

Rate this topic

hi everyone i need advise as to what i should or should not do, i wish to drive to Turkey where i have a farm and bring over machinery, furniture, shelving, freezer and fridges, vacuum cleaners petrol strimmers etc (all pre used in the ukon my return to the uk i would like to bring back with me my produce from my farm which consists of olive oil, olives, dried fruit, preserved lemons, candied fruits, and much more my purpose is to give as samples in the uk with a view to getting future orders for a business venture i have in mindwhat obstacles do i face, will i be allowed to bring my produce out with me i look forward to your repliesregards mem

I've moved your post to the Customs forum. Check around in this forum and you'll find links to the Turkish Customs website which should answer a lot of your questions about bringing things into Turkey. I think you'll have a major problem importing fruits and vegetables into the UK, you would probably need special licenses for that, and it would be illegal to transport it into the UK without declaring it or without going through formal importation procedures. Anyone else know anything about this issue?

I think you're right about importing stuff into the UK Ben. I think the best thing to do would be to contact the UK customs service and the Ministry of Agriculture or whatever they call it nowadays. Obviously food is imported into the UK but how I don't know.

I think with the possibilities of importing fruits or vegetables into any country without going through formal procedures are practically nil, unless perhaps it's on mainland Europe, because of the chance of it having foreign insects or diseases which could wipe out crops or even forests. When I took my Jeep back to the US, it had to be specially cleaned all over, including the wheels, underside, engine compartment, etc., to make sure all soil had been removed and that nothing was using my Jeep for a home! The US lost a lot of forest because of the importation of some type of larva which became a moth when it was in the US, and as it reproduced, it's offspring larva wiped out a huge amount of trees. They probably came into the country under a vehicle, barbecue grill, or some other type of thing which was being used outdoors in the other country. I'm sure the UK has had the same problems with invasive species. We've got all kinds of problems in the US with foreign rodents, birds, fish, and insects even now.

In Guam, you used to be able to hear birds singing in the forest, but brown snakes which probably came in with some cargo and have no natural predator in Guam, have taken over and have eaten so many of the bird eggs that the birds are disappearing. So this is serious business... if you do import anything please be sure to go through the proper channels with customs.

• 2 months later...

First you need an Import and Export Agent talk to Sabahattin Yılmaz he probably knows somebodyYour machines may be a problem if over 3 years old.

Unless your lorry can be customs sealed you cant do ityou can share space on a TIR lorry you just make your own case you could travel with the driverYou would get arrested in Greece or Bulgaria crossing with a lot produce in an unsealed lorry.

You could try to find the Turkish drivers that go to the North of Holland every week and sell their produce in the Turkish market one of our members will know the place VillaOlivio.

To export foodstuffs you need laboratory reports ie how much % bird sh*t, mouse sh*t, preservatives the list is long for importing into the UK.

You will have to join the Ziraat (food) chamber of Commerce You will need Bill of LadingCertificate Country of OriginGuarantee Letter of credit how much do you want to take Tonnes or Kilos Load your suitcase and take it for personal consumption.

MEM,never ship anyting back or forward without declaration to customs, basically you have to start declaration of goods and purpose of shipment.. Otherwise you are likely to run into many unestimated problems.. For UK side of the businees talk to a Bristish customs agent..

For Turkish side of the business find a Turkish customs agent (g

• 2 months later...

As people mention here, please do a good research before you import any machinery. It is bad enough with importing household goods and personal effects. I see people day after day experiencing difficulties with Turkish Customs due to lack of information given to them before the import.

You can get professional advice from 'Gumruk Musaviri'