Import A Car Into Turkey

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, iam from Kuwait and have temporary residency in Turkey (for 6 months). I need to know if it will be possible for me to bring in Turkey a car from Kuwait (less than 3 years old) and keep it permenantly in there so I can use it whenever iam in Turkey. I ususally visit Turkey for short period of times.

Qasem

Welcome to the forum Qasem. I'm afraid the same rules will apply to you. If you wish to have a car in Turkey it would be a lot less trouble to either buy one here or rent one, as you say that you will only be for short periods of time.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I live in Azerbaijan, and was planning on driving through Turkey and into Europe this summer, and then of course driving back to Azerbaijan. The more I read however, I realise this might be more difficult than I thought.

I understand that if I want to leave Turkey I need to either take the car with me or leave it in customs. My question though, is if I return to Turkey with my car within the 6 month period that my car is registered, will I be able to bring the car back into Turkey?

• 4 weeks later...

Merhaba all! I will be coming to Turkey as a diplomat soon and would like to import my car to Istanbul. As a diplomat, I don't need to pay customs/duties etc. My assignment is 3 years. However, I understand that if I sell my car to a local Turk rather than another diplomat, they would have to pay huge customs duties/taxes. Also, they can't buy it if more than 3 years old. I have some questions:

Q1: What exactly is the 3-year rule? From the official year of the car or when it's actually manufactured? For example, I want to bring a new 2013 Audi A4 (US value $38,000 = about 70,000 TL or 30,000 euros), and want to sell it 3 years later at the end of my assignment for as close to that value as possible. Could a Turkish national buy it when it's 3 years old, at any time in year 2016 - for example a 2013 may have actually been built in 2012? How specific is the 3-year mark?

Q2: Is the duties/tax so high that no one would want to buy it for the above cost? How is the market there, whether for Turkish nationals or for diplomats there to want to buy this car? I'm debating whether to bring it or not! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,I am an Indian national resident in Dubai, UAE.

I am planning an overland road trip from Dubai to Zurich (crossing over to Iran by ferry and then driving into Turkey and onwards to Bulgaria).

I would request the following information:-1) Would it be an issue driving in a Dubai registered vehicle into Turkey via Iran? I plan to be in Turkey for only 4 days before entering Bulgaria.2) Any idea if I need to pre arrange the insurance covering Turkey or whether I can buy it at the border itself.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am from the UK but have a 5yr residency permit for Turkey as I am married to a Turkish citizen and a work permit for 7months each year due to my job.

I have been reading up on how to bring a car into Turkey but I am not sure that I understand the information correctly.

I am looking to drive a new UK vehicle into Turkey from April through to November and then back to the UK again. This roughly 8mths.

Is there any way to do this without getting the temporary plates that I read about as I know that that will take forever given how long anything takes to get done here?

Also, I keep reading about this guarantee thing, could someone explain this further please?

Many thanks,

Alex

You can bring a rhd car in on your passport for 6 months only,then it should be taken out of the country.

Officially after 6 months out you can then bring it back in for 6 months,then out for good.

If you want to import a car for keeps it must be a Left Hand Drive model,then you apply to Turk Touring & pay a substantial 'bond' to register it on Turkish plates & be able to keep it here.

That i believe is the official way,but others may know different.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all we hope to be coming to Turkey next year and bringing a car with us ive read so many posts im now totally confused.

As it stands im British but having been married to a Turk for 6 years I can apply for my residency permit.

My husband now has a British passport and a Turkish one. We want to bring a BMW about 10 years old right hand drive and stay for 6 months.1 Do we just arrive at the border with our car papers?2Do we have to register with Turing.3What is the estimated cost if this is so.thank you for any help you can give as I am slowly going bonkers Dawn

If you are only bringing the car for 6 months you don't need to do anything other than have the correct paperwork and then you will have to buy insurance for the car at the border. Sorry I can't help with the cost.

• 1 year later...

As others have mentioned, you may be able to get by without paying huge import taxes since you're a citizen. Do you know if they have the same vehicle specifications for both countries? That could cost a lot if you need to make any modifications to get compliant. My sister shipped her car to Turkey from the U.

S. and used this company https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-turkey.php without any problems (unless you count the expense.) Definitely worth a call if only to ask about what you're legally required to do and I know they move cars all over the world so they might be able to help. 

• 1 month later...

I am a dual Russian/American citizen and new to this forum.

I had recently bought an apartment in TRNC near Famagusta and now am in process of getting the residence permit as a retired person.

For my transportation needs I intend to buy an electric tricycle from China, something like this:

< http://sdsddzkj.en.alibaba.com/product/1990552129-213919237/Electric_tricycle_for_passenger_BD_market_.html >

or like this:

< http://gfxiaoni.en.alibaba.com/product/1982080408-212113644/Bajaj_style_electrics_passenger_tricycle_three_wheels_60V.html>.

There are several questions which I will appreciate to find the answer to:

1. When the brand new vehicle arrives in Famagusta Harbour, can I drive it straight out of there 12 km to my home, or I must first get registration and insurance? Obviously the vehicle straight from the Chinese factory will have neither of those.

2. Which kind of certification papers must have this vehicle in order to be registered and insured in North Cyprus? The Chinese can provide CE and/or EEC certiications. Who can tell me, are these certifications acceptable for TRNC registration authorities, Which one is better and what is the difference between them?

3. Who can give me an idea about the taxes which will be required for registering and insuring the ELECTRIC vehicle (no harmful gas emissions) without gasoline motor (1 KW electric motor)?

4 Will my California Driving License be valid in Turkish Republic of North Cyprus? Or maybe no driving license will be needed for a 3-wheel carriage with a 1-KW motor, can it be equalled to a recreation gadget like a bicycle?

Hi, Welcome to Turkey Central. I think your best idea is to ask the customs authorities in North Cyprus because I am sure their rules will be different to the rules in Turkey.

Yes there are forums for Northern Cyprus, Google will help you but since you are there anyway why not just ask a policeman where the customs offices are. The main offices will be in Nicosia I should think.

• 3 months later...

My name is Darren . I am moving to Turkey in December this year. I'm thinking of exporting my vehicle to England and then having it transported to Turkey. Why? It's cheaper than going direct to Turkish ports. The vehicle will not be used on the roads for now, as I will be putting it into storage at my home address in Turkey. Can I do this?  .

Hi Darren, welcome to Turkey Central. If you import a car into Turkey you pay a very large deposit (refundable so they say) and you have to go through the rigmarole of getting it registered, paying road tax and insurance. It doesn't matter whether the car is in storage, off the road or whatever it all has to be paid. So the answer to your question "Can I do this?" is yes but it will cost you a lot of money and time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My family are planning to move to Turkey as they are buying a property in Istanbul. They have got a Ford Expedition 5.7L V8 2014 model. What are the costs involved in bringing it over to Turkey as well as monthly/annual running of the vehicle as in taxes etc... Thank You

A 5.7 litre V8 made in 2014? The cost will be astronomical, as will the fuel consumption in Istanbul! I can only find the 2009 import duty figures for that kind of vehicle at the moment, it was 130,000 lira back then, the price will have gone up considerably since then.