Import A Car Into Turkey

Rate this topic

Dear All,I am available here to answer any specific customs questions.

My wife is a duel citizen USA and Turky, I am a USA citizen only. She has been away from Turkey for 6 years. We are moving to Istanbul and would like to bring our car; a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. It is currently registered and titled in my wife's name. Can we take it duty free? Would it be better if I changed the title and registration to my name. If so, for how many months will I have to have it in my name befor taking it to Turkey?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

The information you require is on the first page of this thred, posted by our import expert Tanner Altinay.

Welcome to our forum. If you'd like to go to Meet and Greet and say 'Hello' we will be able to welcome you properly.

• 6 months later...

Ok, my question is this.... I'm a disabled veteran receiving disability pension does that qualify me as retired for the purpose of bringing my vehicle from the US to Turkey? Or will it fall under the part 6 there because my wife is Turkish. I really need this vehicle there because of my disability. It's the only thing I can drive.

The only thing I know about this situation is that your retired status, for whatever reason, doesn't matter when it comes to importing a vehicle (or really for anything else in Turkey). Once you're retired, and not on orders, you're the same as anybody else in Turkey when it comes to importing anything. I'm retired myself, and get basically no privileges, except for access to the military facilities like the club, but no BX or commissary privileges like they have in other countries. It all depends on the status of forces agreement (SOFA), and in Turkey, it's far from generous.

Regarding the requirement of a special vehicle, perhaps Turkey has some special considerations, unfortunately I don't know what those might be...

We have a Turkish customs person who is in our experts group in the Turkey Central community, I've sent him a personal message (PM) to ask him to check in on this topic. I hope he can help you better than I!

• 8 months later...

It is usually purchase value but that could change. Motorcycle market in Turkey is quite good actually. You might be able to find decent prices after looking around a few places. But cars are still expensive compared to European market prices. Good Luck!!!

Tatitnay.....

Question: I live in England with my wife and daughter. my wife is Turkish, while our daughter is Turglish (50/50!).

We have lots o family in Umraniye, Istanbul, but other family in Izmir... GuzelBache and so on, which means travel for us is a must.

I have two cars, and i want to take one of them to Turkey... thing is... they are both classic cars.

The car i want to take to Turkey is a 1966 Rover P5... 3 Litre.

It weighs two tonnes, and has very big chrome bumpers, which is good, seeing as how everyone in Turkey drives like a crazy maniac lol.

Is my car exepmt from import taxes? because it is a 45 year old classic car.

My wife has indefinate leave to remain in the U.

K, and it would be better to have our own car, rather than use coaches to visit family.

I have seen cars for sale in Istanbul, and where an old car would cost 9000 YTL... the same car in England would cost about

C A R / MOTOR CYCLE FOR TURKISH NATIONALS PART : 6One car per family can be imported but is subject to substantial import duties/taxes.

Car must be registred on the name of importer since 6 months in the Origin Country before incoming to Turkey and must not be older than 3 years ( inclusive registration date and year of model ) and must beused ( no brand new ). Please get in touch with in order to learn Import Tax by giving us the make, model (year) of car and cylinder capacity of engine . The owner has to get in touch with Turkish Embassy/Consulate to receive necessary info and documents before to ship the vehicle to Turkey.

You can find more detailed information and sample forms here:http://www.cfcu.gov.tr/files/tax_exemption...ad_vehicles.doc

I think the car has to be under 3 years old so I think the answer is no. :)If you go to page 1 post 7 on this thread I think you'll find the link works there.

• 1 month later...

Dear all,I heard recently that the law on taking cars into the country as foreigner working in Turkey have been changed very recently and taking your car from your home country has been made easier. Can anyone comment on this or does anyone have some information regarding this? Any (usefull) information would be highly appreciated.

If there have been changes to the law I haven't read about it in the Turkish press or seen it mentioned on any expat forum here either. It may just be a rumour thats doing the rounds, but you can always keep your fingers crossed that it may be true. If we find anything relating to changes like that we will be sure to post and inform people. :)

The last time we discussed this topic I think the feeling was that personal imports are not worth the hassle, unless it is an extremely expensive vehicle that will make big savings. I had a blue plate car 20 years ago and I wouldn't get another one. Rules may have changed in theory but I haven't heard of anyone doing it in practice. Getting a local car is more expensive at the start but much less bother and the vehicle won't depreciate as quickly as elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Taner Bey,I'm a British citizen and my wife is Turkish. We are planning to drive to Turkey in April/May and return in late August. I understand we will need to buy insurance at the border. The problem is that my wife and children will stay throughout, but I will need to return to work in London. I will visit them regularly and we will all drive home together. I am the registered owner of the vehicle.

When I return to the UK, my wife was intending to keep the car at our flat and drive it when necessary. However, I'm worried by what I read on these pages! Since I am the owner of the vehicle, does that mean my wife can't drive it while we're in Turkey. Also, when I return to the UK, will I be able to leave without the car? Will I need to put in into bonded premises while I'm away?

The rules seem quite complicated. I'm not importing the car permanently and my family will need to use it while I'm not there. Is there some solution to our problem? I'd be grateful for any advice you could provide.

Regards, MPABB

Welcome to our forum MPABB, I just noticed that you have not had a answer yet. I don't really know about the insurance side of things but unless things have changed recently yes you will have to leave your car at customs ever time you exit Turkey.

Maybe the best thing to do is put the car in your wife's name but that still needs you to find out about the insurance side of things. I'm hoping someone will be able to help you on that.

Sorry, I only just saw your post too. The easiest thing is to put the car in your wife's name as Abi says, that way you won't have to leave it in a Customs compound when you leave because it will be on your wife's passport when you enter Turkey.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys ive got a question too. I'm a Turkish citizen looking at relocating back to turkey in the next 5 odd years, i was wondering how i might go by importing my car there, for starters, it's not road registered and i don't plan on registering it, basically its a race car which i use in drifting competitions here in Australia and will hopefully get into some drifting in Istanbul, i will buy a road registered car and trailer in turkey to trailer my race car around to and from the track.

How will the customs law's affect my unique situation, and i say unique as in i don't think many people have been through the process of importing a car to Turkey for the sole purpose of being used as a race car.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi KBNR32, welcome to Turkey Central. As you say, your situation is unique. I think you're going to have to go to the relevant Customs department with that question. The only other thing I can suggest is to write and ask the Touring and Automobile Club of Turkey.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

• 2 months later...

Taner bey merhabaI live in the UK and will be moving back to Turkey. I was born here however I am dual Turkish and British citizen. My wife was born in Turkey but she has also just gained British citizenship. I want to take a motor bike that will be under 3 years and registered to in my name for the last 6 months back to Turkey when I return permanently. I also want to take a car back is this possible or is it one or the other? I wanted to confirm if the rules have changed since the original postings on this site were a few years go and I have been advised that upon returning I could take a car or motorbike back without having to pay any or very little TAX.

A. is this true, if so what is the process and requirements? if it is not true what kind of TAX am i expected to payB. Can I purchase the bike new from the dealers in the UK and ask for it to be shipped to Turkey or even cargo it myself without having to pay the TAX If im to he honest I am asking on how to avoid paying ludicrous amount of tax. the bike is new at

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Taner,This post is very useful, but since it's from 2008 I am wondering if anything has changed since? I would like to bring my car here from Germany, and have a residecy permit, but NO work permit. Does that mean I can't bring my car at all (neither temporary for 6 months, nor permanently for import?)Thanks for any answers,Mareile

Hi Mareile, you can bring your car for 6 months. If you wish to leave Turkey for a short time, a visit home perhaps, you have to either take the car out with you or leave it in bond in a customs controlled area.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Taner,As anyone who looks at importing a car in Turkey, I've been having some doubts. Could you help me?

I'd like to import a car in Turkey from EU (Poland to be more specific). I have 1 year residence and work permit. I'm thinking about Audi A4, from 1999, engine capacity 1800, engine is 1.8, worth around 6.500 TL. I'd like to drive it from Poland to Turkey. Can I bring it for a year or even a longer period? Do I need to pay 60-85% tax? Or/and put a bank deposit on it? Best wishes,Maciek

I think this is the information you are looking for.. If the customer has got also a working AND residency permit , client can import his/her own car in a temporary status by receiving a temporary Turkish plate/licience during the residence permit by paying a deposit(guarantee ) to Touring Service. At the expiration of residence permit(if leaves from Turkey ), the client has to move out of his/her own car .

The deposit is going to be given back to the customer by touring service.

Please, check that amount of deposite/guarantee from us by advising the make, model year of vehicle and cylinder capacity of engine.

Documents :

• 1 year later...

hi all,i have just received my reisdence permit for foreigners (up to a year afterwhich i have to reapply). I have just registered a company here and was thinking about importing a folklift from the U.

K. Firstly, can anyone recommend any good and reasonable priced agents in or around Adana/Mersin who could handle the transport from the port (Mersin) to the registered company address. And secondly, what costs would i inccurr? for example how much is duty - and does this depend on the age of the folklift? whether it is brand new or not? the size etc.

Pleae can some one help.

Thank you

To import a car you need a work permit as well as a RP so I would imagine you'd need one to import a fork lift as well. Besides that, the amount of hassle and paperwork as well as a bond in a bank for the value of the vehicle many people have advised against trying to import into Turkey.

I think that you should try to find one in Turkey and save yourself grey hair.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, and thanks for this great site and your replies.

With a job offer in Turkey, i'm balancing my options.

I'll get work permit and residency, I understand that I can import my own car in a temporary status by receiving a temporary Turkish plate/licence during the residence permit by paying a deposit(guarantee) to Touring Service.

Now, how much is that deposit?

The car would be a 2007 Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon, engine is 2,4 liters diesel.

Also due to the nature of my work, I would be going in and out of the country all the time.

How would I reasure Customs that I am not leaving without my car and nobody is using it but me?

Thanks

As far as I find out you would need to deposit 56,000tl .Security deposit (either in cash or a bank letter of guarantee). The amount of the deposit depends on the vehicle's age and engine size.

http://www.turing.org.tr/tr/teminat.pdf

I'm not sure about when you go out of the country, you may have to leave it with customs or I did see on another website the following BUT I can't find a date for this page.

What I have to do with my Tax Free car when I go out of the Turkey ?

Your tax free car can remain in Turkey as long as the duration shown on its blue licence. If you wish to go abroad you do not have to leave it to the customs.

But if you have visitor plate (MA/MZ) you should have letter from your company, school that you will keep the car at parking lot until you are back..

http://www.diplomaticplate.com/?sayfa=ek_sayfa&id=17

If I find any more info I'll post it.