Import A Car Into Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi allany information would be much appreciated.

I am an Australian (age early 30's) with Turkish citizenship (passport) and plan to move to Bodrum area early next year. Currently we am living in London and would like to investigate if taking our car to Turkey would be a good idea. Just trying to figure out if its beneficial to bring our own or buy one when we get there. I did have a look at buying over in Turkey however the cars seem to be so expensive.

Has anyone been in the same/ similar situation.

Many thanksAyse

Hello Ayse, and welcome! We've had this question a few times before, and your questions may already have been answered under another topic in the Customs forum. I know I've answered a few of these already, it's kind of a common question. Have a look around, and if you have any questions after that, feel free to post them here. :lol: We do have a customs official in the "professionals" group of this forum, and he can assist you as well if your situation hasn't already been addressed... it sounds like your situation might be different, because you're a Turkish citizen.

I believe the rules are different for returning Turks, I think they are able to bring in one car tax free. Obviously this info needs checking out carefully and our Customs friend consulted.

Currently we am living in London and would like to investigate if taking our car to Turkey would be a good idea.

There is the problem if the steering wheel being on the right (or wrong) side :lol:

Just trying to figure out if its beneficial to bring our own or buy one when we get there.

I actually did this and found it to be a big PIA because of the "admin" I needed to keep up. You need to leave a lump of cash in a bank as a deposit and sort out residency and other things. (not sure if this rule applys to Turkish Nationals though)It sort of depends how long you plan to stay, a few months is not much of a problem but if you want to permanently import a car then there are a few hoops to jump through. E.

G. I heard recently of a guy trying to bring €5,000's worth of car into Turkey but it would need €7,000 of bank deposit to do it :muahaha[1]:

I did have a look at buying over in Turkey however the cars seem to be so expensive.

I do not know your exact circumstances so it is difficult to say but if you include the bank deposit you (might) need to pay, buying a local car could actually work out cheaper in the long run. (Even if the initial purchase price seems high)Just a thought

I hope below information will be useful for your enquiry.

C A R – MOTOR CYCLE ( PERSONAL OWN VEHICLE / POV ) ( FOR NON-TURKISH NATIONAL CUSTOMERS )

A. If the customer has got a residence permit , he/she does not import a motor vehicle into Turkey in Temporary status.

If the customer has not got a residence permit and entries to Turkey with 3 months visa, he/she

can import his/her own car to Turkey in a temporary status max. for 180 days.

According to the staying duration in the last 1 year in Turkey of customer, the customs can give the staying duration of car in Turkey less than 180 days.

At the end of 180 days or duration/given by the customs, client has to move the car out of Turkey. No any tax –duties-deposites to Turkish Customs for this status.

The owner of the car is to be present at the customs office during the customs process.

Documents: Original Passport , original registration certificate of motor vehicle and traffic insurance certificate/which will be obtained from the insurance company in Turkey, International driving licence.

Meanwhile, if the customer is retired and having got a pension from the STATE , the customer can bring his/her own motor vehicle by receiving a permition from the TOURING SERVICE in Turkey. For that reason, the customer is to be translate the retirement ID card or certificate into Turkish language first, submit to the Touring Service and get an approve in order to bring it to Turkey.

If no any problem, he/she can import the own motor vehicle by paying a deposite (guarantee ) to the Touring Service.

B. If the customer has got also a working AND residency permit , client can import his/her own car in a temporary status by receiving a temporary Turkish plate/licience during the residence permit by paying a deposit(guarantee ) to Touring Service. At the expiration of residence permit(if leaves from Turkey ), the client has to move out of his/her own car .

The deposit is going to be given back to the customer by touring service.

Please, check that amount of deposite/guarantee from us by advising the make, model year of vehicle and cylinder capacity of engine.

Documents :

• Original passport with working visa isued by Turkish Consulate ( with 2 copies )

• Original residence permit ( with 2 copies )

• The working permit (received from the Ministry of Labour and Social Security in Turkey) (1 org + 2 copy )

• Bank guarantee, isued by a local bank or cash payment to Touring Service ( the amount depends on the cc and year/modell of the car )

• Original title of car ( with 2 copies )

• The registration of the company to the Chamber of Commerce in Turkey (1 Org + 2 copy )

• A letter to Touring Service from the customer’s company.(a draft will be given by us )

• The delivery form of car to the warehouse in the port. ( with 2 copies )

• Original Driving Licience ( with 2 copies )

• The insurance policy of car in Turkey

• The Entry Carnette of foreign vehicles that received from Touring Service in Turkey (with 2 copies)

• Written Undertaking ( sample will be given by Turkish Customs )

C A R / MOTOR CYCLE FOR TURKISH NATIONALS PART : 6

One car per family can be imported but is subject to substantial import duties/taxes.

Car must be registred on the name of importer since 6 months in the Origin Country before incoming to Turkey and must not be older than 3 years ( inclusive registration date and year of model ) and must be

used ( no brand new ). Please get in touch with in order to learn Import Tax by giving us the make, model (year) of car and cylinder capacity of engine . The owner has to get in touch with Turkish Embassy/Consulate to receive necessary info and documents before to ship the vehicle to Turkey.

Dear All,I am available here to answer any specific customs questions.

HiI wonder if you can help me, my wife is Turkish she will be returning to Turkey after 7 years of our marriage with me, we are both moving to Istanbul, I own a motorcycle which was new in september 2007, if I register it in her name have you any idea of the dutie we will have to pay, it is a Ducati 1098 value new

If she gets dual citizenship, then I am afraid she is not allowed to bring a motor vehicle in unless she pays full customs tax (car is not covered by 'bedelsiz ithalat'). I have dual citizenship and before returning to Turkey, I was told clearly by the Consulate in London that I couldn't bring in my car. Obviously law is different for returning Turkish citizens since they can benefit from 'bedelsiz ithalat'. For returning Turkish nationals One car per family can be imported but is subject to substantial import duties/taxes. Vehicle must be registred on the name of importer since 6 months in the Origin Country before incoming to Turkey and must not be older than 3 years ( inclusive registration date and year of model ) and must be used ( no brand new ). I believe import taxes are around 65 -85 % of the purchase value.

I hope this is useful. I'll add more information here very soon, especially on import tax for motor vehicles.

It is usually purchase value but that could change. Motorcycle market in Turkey is quite good actually. You might be able to find decent prices after looking around a few places. But cars are still expensive compared to European market prices. Good Luck!!!

• 1 month later...

hi Taltinay,wonder if you can answer a question for me? i am bringing my 5m speedboat with me and will be coming into Turkey in a couple of weeks. i have been told that a transit log will allow me to bring my boat into Turkey for up to 5 years, but that the boat trailer will be subject to the same limits as the car (6 months) can you tell me how i explain that i need the trailer for moving the boat to/from the water?i have all my documentation for the boat. ssr registration and insurance but cannot get a transit log (not sure what that translates to in Turkish-sorry) until we are in the country.hope you can helpnikp

Dear Nikp,I sincerely apologise for the delayed answer. I was trying to double check the answer before I got back to you. It is quite easy to get things wrong when it comes to customs issues as it usually depends on individual circumstances. The latest information available to me: if you come to Turkey on a temporary visa, trailer will be subjected same regulations as a car. Therefore you will be allowed to keep it for six months in the country. At the end of this period you need to export it again. However, if you come to Turkey with a resident permit, you will be able to bring your trailer in, subject to temporary import permission. This way you would be allowed to keep the trailer as the duration of your stay here in Turkey.

I hope this makes sense. Once again sorry for the delayed answer!

Taner

I just wanted to add this. Taner Bey (TAltinay) volunteers his time to help us figure out the complexities of the customs and import regulations. He can also personally provide these services. So I hope you don't mind if I "blow the horn" for Taner...

If anyone needs to relocate their belongings to or from Turkey, import or export a vehicle, or needs customs services for anything, please contact Taner by private message (PM) or use his company, Tuzcuoglu Transportation Services. I've used them before during one of my many moves, and they gave me fantastic, highly professional service, from door to door... everything was perfect.

Hi,Unfortunately, there is no standard cost for a container. You can get quotations from shipping lines for 20' or 40' containers depending on the volume of your goods. However they would not provide you with a door to door service. If you use a local relocation company they will be able to provide you with a quotation for a door to door service including sea freight, customs clearance, and home delivery. If you are moving from the UK, you can also use land transportation option for Turkey through trucking agents. If you are interested, I can give you more information on this option. For moves to and from the UK, it is advisable to compare sea and land transportation options in terms of time and costs.

Kind regards,Taner

• 3 months later...

Bringing a car over here is one thing most people do not recommend even if they are expensive. If you can buy a new one before the 15th of this month there is a big tax reduction.

Welcome to the forum bye the way. If you'd like to go to 'Meet and Greet' and tell us a little about yourself then everyone will be able to say 'hello'.