Taking Foodstuffs Into Turkey

Rate this topic

Loaded up as I am this time, one of my best friends there has asked me to bring her back a couple of jars of Bovril, which her hubby adores. I know it is beef (luckily not pork!) extract and I wonder if it contravenes some rule about meat or meat products? I remember an Italian friend got his salami confiscated at Heathrow but think taking away the Bovril might be a bit far fetched but I am just checking:)Also, I am bringing Ovaltine (for me) - think that's ok!

But - more problematical - my BEST friend who has done so much for me wants 1/2 kilo best mature Cheddar *sigh* I promised him...thoughts or experiences?(Good thing he's not a Stilton addict!)

Can not say I'm an expert as to "the rules" but I can say that I've never had any problems, what I do is:First do not pack groceries in your hand luggage - This is especially true for Bovril because of the liquid content.

Next do not bring any opened packages - A 1/2 full tin of Ovaltine might be thought of as narcotics.

Finally for the Cheese make sure it is vacuum packed - that way you need not even worry about Stilton http://www.turkeycentral.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gifBasically pack your Groceries in your "Hold Luggage" - that's what I have done for years with no problems

I agree with the advice Bushman has given you although I've never had any problem with cheese in a sealed pack in my hand luggage.

I used to carry my Marmite in my handbag until the liquids ban.

The last time I came through Heathrow, on Dec. 1st everyone was checked over by a sniffer dog trained to spot large amounts of money. I checked with the officer who said there is no limit to the amount of money you can take out of the country (UK) but you should register amounts over

The sniffer dogs would surely have a field day with smelly cheese:))Thank you Bushman and Sunny for the helpful answers! I never thought of vacuum packed cheese. Yes, it's true about spreads; a couple of years ago I stupidly put a jar of peanut butter in my hand baggage and got it confiscated at Heathrow.

In the early days after 9/11 I had to struggle not to get my hand blender confiscated. They said the revolving blades constituted a weapon but in the end relented as they saw the blade was non detachable. Moral is that you have to be really careful these days hence my asking what may seem rather obvious questions on forum.

I think my food question was more related to the food and hygiene aspect of customs rather than security.

Thanks for the point about money, Sunny - is there a limit as to the amount of hard currency we can take out of Turkey?

For cash the rules are similar to the U.

K., electronically, no problems. Turkey has embraced the internationalanti-money laundering rules.

Re. food, Turkey has similar rules to most countries ie. no meat, eggs, dairy products etc.. In practice if they are small amounts in your hold luggage, they do not tend to get too excited.

I found this info:-The Turkish legislation states that one may take up to $ 5,000 or the equivalent amount in another currency notes out of the country. Non-residents- provided that they have declared it on their arrival- and residents those present a document that they purchased foreign exchange from the banks or participation banks within the framework of the regulations of invisible transactions, may freely take abroad foreign currency of which value exceeds $ 5,000. Otherwise, they can transfer foreign exchange of which value exceeds $5,000 through banks and participation banks only. Please note that if a person breaches the above rule and this is detected/proven by authorities (either in Turkey or abroad):a) The money is seized and becomes a possession of the Republic of Turkey.:lol: A principal penalty of YTL equivalent of the seized amount is to be charged if the money is captured by Turkish authorities.c) If the money brought abroad had not been seized/detected by the Turkish officers, then the principal penalty is twice stated in (:lol:. Thus, the total principal penalty may amount to up to twice the seized money.d) Moreover, a 'late payment penalty' (the interest) is to be charged based on the above mentioned principal penalty at the interest rate mentioned by Law No. 6183, which is currently 3% per month for the duration between the time of the breach and the date when penalty will be paid. Please note that the Undersecretariat of Treasury is in charge of all issues with regards to the foreign currency legislation in Turkey. Moreover whether the source of the money was legal/in line with the anti-money laundering rules is of great importance to the relevant authorities. In case a money laundering action had taken place, the penalties are to be much severe.

Where the emoticons came from I've no idea and I can't get rid of them,sorry.

So $5,000 is the maximum. Thanks for the helpful post as usual, Sunny:)That is the rule as far as taking money OUT of Turkey but as far as bringing it in..there seem to be no such restrictions.

A friend of mine who does a bit of everything, had a German client who flew into Turkey with a million dollars in cash for deposit on some land! He came on his private jet but still...

It figures that they won't be that fussy re valuables and huge amounts of cash coming inwards rather than outwards! I am amazed at the people who do these kind of things but then if you look at the Madoff case, the more money people deal with, the more arrogant it seems to make them.