Taking Antiques Into Turkey

Rate this topic

I know there are regulations and laws regarding the export of antiquities (over 100 years old) from Turkey but I wondered about the other way around?

I have a new house and wanted to take one or two pieces of antique pottery and glassware to grace the many bare shelves! Anyone know if there would be any problem coming from an EU country?

I haven't heard about such things but I ask here because I know many of you have houses in TR and have therefore shipped into TR.

i would,nt think you would have a problem bringing them in ..would you ship them ,or mark them fraglile going through the airport,either way you could run the risk of getting them broken or damaged.and if they were broken .would your insurance cover them,, http://www.turkeycentral.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif..ps if they were small enough you could take them in your hand luggage..

i would,nt think you would have a problem bringing them in ..would you ship them ,or mark them fraglile going through the airport,either way you could run the risk of getting them broken or damaged.and if they were broken .would your insurance cover them,, http://www.turkeycentral.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif..ps if they were small enough you could take them in your hand luggage..

I'd be a bit cautious bringing them in as hand luggage as you may "fall foul" of the 100 year rule should you need to liberate them at some time in the future.

..good point bushman ..what would you say was the best way, ;) ..maybe carrier service would be good ..if the insurance would cover any breakages or loss..thats the only way, i would take the risk..how would customs know if it was a hundred years old,its all a gamble, http://www.turkeycentral.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Well, this time I think I'll pass as I am taking a LOT of luggage all this year at least. In the future, yes I see your point. I am sure taking a large piece of antique pottery as hand luggage is BOUND to get the Turkish customs asking questions when I arrive. Even if I accompanied it by some sort of receipt (which is apparently what you are supposed to do at least going the other way). If I put tried to pack it, however carefully, within a box within foam shavings etc etc I am sure it would get broken.

On balance, although I would like these nice knick-knacks in my new house, I'll have to forgo the pleasure:)

Having "felt the wrath" of Turkish customs I'd make sure I had some form of proof of origin (i.e. Not Turkey) and proof of ownership documents for the goods. (Preferably with lots of rubber stamps on them http://www.turkeycentral.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif )As for shipping - depends on the value and what deals you can get on insurance.

I would certainly want to make sure that I had irrefutable proof that I had brought antique items into the country.

I have brought fragile items in in my hand luggage wrapped in bubble wrap and then put in a sturdy carboard box and they survived the trip.

......what do you mean 'irrefutable proof?' ...... As I said, I would be bringing them into TR not out of TR.

I do not expect you will have too much trouble bringing them in. I'm just sort of anticipating problems you might have taking them out again (should you ever need to) and the problems you could face.

I guess if you use a "reputable" shipping company they will furnish you with some documentation describing both the goods and the date they were brought into Turkey. In which case as long as you keep these somewhere safe then you can present them if you ever need to "repatriate" the goods (for what ever reason) at some time in the future.

Yes, it's not the bringing them in that is the problem, it's for if you want to take them out again that you would need the proof. I suggest that you contact the Turkish consulate in the UK to ask their advice.

The process in the past has been that, if something thought to be a Turkish antiquity was to be taken out of the country, a representative from a local museum would have to look at the piece being taken out of the country. I don't know if movers are particularly trained in spotting what might or might not be an antiquity. If you're not thought to be smuggling a Turkish antiquity out of the country, that is, if it's in plain view for the movers to place into a box, I think that's the worst that would happen, is that someone from the museum would have to come out and have a look at it. That's based on some training I had in bringing household goods in from the US and taking them back out (twice!).