Customs Duty

Rate this topic

we are planning to move to turkey soon and i have heard that asmall electrical item such as a television/cd player etc has an enormous duty on each item,it seems that everything of a lowish cost will not b worth taking with us as the excessive price charged at customs is more than the cost of the item,any comments appreciated,thanks

Hi Hammer and welcome! :) Have a look elsewhere in the customs forum, there is some information there as well as a link, I believe, to the Turkish customs authority where you can find a list of items which incur a duty and how much it is.

Hi. I can only speak of my own experience. I shipped a 20ft. container from Northern Ireland to Izmir. It did not contain much in the way of furniture, it is more cost effective to buy furniture here. It did contain a hell of a lot of electrical and petrol power tools plus books, paintings, crystal, bedding, kitchen stuff etc. It also contained numerous other electrical items. The customs are very hot on anything that can receive a signal. These items were packed into boxes towards the front of the container. On the appointed day I left Marmaris, with a Turkish friend, we expected to be away for two days, at 0510hrs.. Of course it was the morning after the bombs in Marmaris, so every 10 miles a police checkpoint. Anyway we got to Izmir at about 0745hrs., had a tulip of tea. Then went to my shipping agents office, made some arrangements, then went to the Port. I will point out that I had submitted a fairly concise manifest.

I then employed an `Agent` in the port to facilitate customs clearance. I met the `Boss` of the customs, greeted him politely in Turkish, he grunted in reply, then told my `Agent` to bog off, he was not properly licensed. Told him to bring his boss.

At this point I was not the happiest bunny in the port, anyway the boss appeared, something was stamped, and off we went to another office, where I discovered that the Turkish translations had not been done. So my friend and I bought tea and cigarettes and repaired outside. There, with his limited english, and my even more limited turkish, we cobbled together a `translation` of the manifest. We then went back into an office womanned by two ladies. We spent a pleasant 40mins. taking a quick walk through the manifest. With comments like this, why does he need so many tools for the house and garden?, Oh Europeans have a different mentality. What is a cocktail cabinet?, It is used for keeping alcohol in, and serving drinks. Is there any drink in it?, No, Ok. What is a gun safe? It is for securely storing guns in. Ah, are there any guns in it? No. Ok.

Seriously, if you are polite and patient you will be unlikely to have to many problems. My wife had cartons of Heinz products etc. stashed in with everything else. The number of cartons and individual items exactly matched the manifest. If your numbers are right, everything`s right. I think that when the container arrived with us only two or three cartons had been opened.

Summary. Communicate with both your U.

K. and Turkish shipping agent. Be prepared to hire someone local, whose face is familiar. Take a Turkish friend and be patient and polite. I think that we paid approx. 1200ytl. in tax.

I left Izmir at 1230hrs. that same day. Oh, and do laugh at yourself, play the silly foreigner.

David