SixxStars

Antalya in summer - How to cope with the heat?

Rate this topic

(I wasn't sure what category to post this under, so move as necessary :)

I will be in Antalya for the summer (July and August), staying in the Muratpasa area, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to cope with the heat?

I was advised that I shouldn't go outdoors from 11-17:00, is that accurate? Is it humid or a dry heat?

Also, going to the beach and on day trips- should I plan for early mornings or later in the afternoons?

I am a woman from the US and will be there by myself, so I would also love to meet up with some expats and/or an expat group if anyone can point me in the right direction on where to find out about meetups and events? 

Last question - I have quite a few tattoos and since I haven't been to Turkey in many years, I was wondering if it is advisable to wear clothing that covers them up in the area where I am staying? Obviously near the beach and tourist areas I am not too concerned.. but just curious because last time I traveled around Turkey I got a few "tsk-tsks" from men in different cities (even Izmir) because I didn't have them covered.

Thanks in advance, everyone :D 

It does get hot in Antalya, 40 C is quite common during the months you will be here but as long as you are sensible about the duration of your exposure to direct sunshine you should be able to cope. Essential items are a wide brim hat, a light wrap that can cover your shoulders when walking around if you're not wearing long sleeves and of course plenty of sunscreen and water. I think it gets hotter in Texas so if you imagine that you're packing to go there you should be well prepared.

Tattoos have become much more acceptable in recent years. Sorry I can't help with the expat scene as I don't go to Antalya city very often.

It is a very humid heat. Some people drive up into the mountains for a cool picnic. last year we went to the mountains with our Turkish neighbours in August. It was so cool that the missus needed to borrow a sweater!

I don't really find the heat to be all that bad... I mean not debilitating or anything like that. it is a humid heat though, and I tend to run my air conditioner all day! Mornings and evenings would be best for the beach for sure. That's mostly because there's no cover to protect you from the sun unless you go find a shade tree somewhere.

Konyaaltı Beach is a pebble beach with some great ammenities, shopping and restaurants, park-like landscaping and shade trees. Lara has a kind of soily-sand public beach which also has trees for shade but it doesn't have the posh facilities of Konyaaltı Beach. 

There are a few Antalya expat groups on Facebook, also I understand Internations has a rather active group in Antalya with lots of get-togethers. Couch Surfers also meets once per week, you could check that website for more info.  I'll be attending the Internations meet-ups when I get back to Antalya later this month, perhaps we'll meet at one of them. I also live in Muratpaşa.

I really don't think anybody in Antalya is going to care about the tattoos. I can't imagine you getting that kind of a reaction, so I really wouldn't worry about it. There are quite a few tattoo parlors in Antalya, and it wouldn't surprise me that any comments you get were complimentary or just out of curiosity because your tattoo is interesting. In the night spots it would be considered more "cool" than anything else. So don't worry about it.

Thank you for your advice everyone! Good to hear it's not like debilitating... I mean, I will most likely be hibernating like a bear during the hours of high noon with the AC on B) but of course there may be some times I have to go out during the day :) . Do they tend to put up those white tarp-looking shade things that reach across from one side of the street to the other on some streets? They do this in some parts of Bodrum, but not sure about in Antalya. 

Do buses run from Muratpasa to Konyaalti beach? If so, can you tell me what bus #s to look for? I don't remember if the tram that goes to the muze goes to Konyaalti beach too, I don't remember that it does but I haven't been there in a while.

I'll check into the Internations group and thanks for letting me know about the tattoos. It makes me feel more comfortable, although I now have been advised by some to wear long-sleeved clothing and long pants/skirts because they are better in the heat and humidity... I'm not sure about it though, as I've never tried this out! So, good to know if I have to tank-top it, I shouldn't hopefully have any issues. 

Thanks again!

I've never seen the white tarps in Antalya. They do it with umbrellas, though, in the dönerci çarşısı (kebab market). But that's mostly for decoration.

In the old city in Muratpaşa, the streets are more like alleys, and its easy to find shade. It's not really that hot there. There are also some excellent seaside restaurants along the cost where there's plenty of breeze, and usually huge umbrellas or even trees for shade, which makes it quite pleasant.

The only time the heat has really bothered me is when I had to go out and run a lot of errands, spending a lot of time walking along busy streets, sometimes in the shade and sometimes not. Or if I'm on my rooftop terrace for a long time. Or if a place doesn't have air conditioning and the heat accumulates. If you're going to be in Antalya in a hot month like July and August, of course, you're going to be hot, but while I may feel it and comment on it, I really don't find it so oppressive that I would think of moving somewhere else because of it. In spite of the heat, Antalya might be the best place I've ever lived, with San Diego CA right up there with it. And San Diego has the best weather, year round, in the entire USA.

Do buses run from Muratpasa to Konyaalti beach?

Yes. But it's a lot more fun, and faster, to take the antique tram. That runs all along the outskirts of the old town, all the way up to the museum and the entrance to Konyaaltı Beach. When you get to the museum stop, you just walk a little farther to a huge public elevator which will take you down the cliff to the beach. It's a very pleasant way to get there. To take a bus you'd have to bypass all of that and come in to Konyaaltı Beach another way because of the traffic patterns, and it wouldn't make sense.

For more information see:

http://www.antalyaulasim.com.tr/

On the home page click Nostaljı Tramvayı (Nostalgic Tram). It will have a map showing you the route. It takes the same transportation card the buses do.

Regarding clothing, my advice would be to wear whatever you want, whatever you would wear anywhere else which has a climate like Antalya. If you're going to go out at night, you might want to wear long pants. But during the day, shorts and sandals are just fine. That said, Turks generally don't wear shorts. As I understand it, a lot of Europeans don't, ether! But that's a cultural thing. If you wanted to blend in as much as possible then I'd say yeah, wear long pants and dress very modestly. But it isn't necessary. Antalya is full of foreigners living there and visiting, and you'll be one of them, and the people of Antalya will be glad to have you there. I think how you dress won't matter to them even one iota.