Rate this topic

The Turkish Ministry of Health have confirmed that passengers without Turkish residency permits will not be permitted to enter Turkey within 14 days of a visit to China, South Korea, Iran, Iraq or Italy. If a passenger has a residency permit, they may be allowed to enter Turkey but they will be tested on arrival for COVID-19. A positive test will lead to the passenger going straight to the quarantine facility. A negative test will lead to mobility restrictions – either self-isolation or full quarantine for 14 days. You should carry additional supplies of necessary medication in carry-on luggage.

Turkish government reports on the number of COVID-19 cases and number of deaths but not as far as I can see the location of the cases or deaths. As of Friday 20 March there were 670 identified cases and 9 deaths, with all deaths being pensioners. It is not officially confirmed but our taxi driver yesterday told us that two of the deaths were in Mersin (where I currently live) and were taxi drivers. This makes sense to me as many Turks who have taken retirement continue to work part time as taxi drivers.

I will be taking a short online course on SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 from The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

So we should assume we have community transmission of COVID-19 at this point? I was hoping the spike in numbers is the result of testing all the quarantined people who came back from performing umra in Saudi.

I think we would be wise to assume community transmission has been going on for some time and to not relax our personal safety regimes Donna. If we are wrong it will only cause us minor inconvenience but if we are right.....?

According to the Turkish press 25000 returned from Umrah but only 8000 were being tested. Not all of those tested will be confirmed with CV19 but it would be interesting to know the percentage who are because that could then be applied to the rest of the returners. As to how many there were carrying the virus but not showing any symptoms I suppose it is anyone's guess at the moment. Also, as Pete says, it would be helpful to know the location of the confirmed cases and deaths but I doubt that information will become public.

Yes definitely, I've been operating under this assumption even before the first case was announced and the fact that I work from home has been a blessing. I just wish we had more information available.

On the other hand, we have our interview for residence renewal next month, and because we applied back in February, our appointment was not postponed. I'm not too happy about the prospect of being around too many people and I can imagine the employees who have to interview dozens of applicants each day are not happy either. 

Having your RP renewal interview must feel a bit of a daunting excursion to be making, I must say I'd be a bit reticent about it too but good luck with it. I feel for all of the people who have to have meetings like that as well as all the shop staff and others who are still working.

COVID-19 update for March 21.

In Turkey there are currently 947 known cases and 21 deaths.

The Ministry of Interior today announced a curfew for those who are over the age 65 or chronically ill.

That includes both me and my wife Zuhal as we both have asthma and hypertension.

It was also stated that starting from midnight, restaurants and dinning places are to be closed to the public and are only allowed to offer home delivery and take away.

COVID-19 update for March 22

Total identified cases 1236 and total deaths 30

Turkey seems to currently be coping better than the UK which has a total of 5,683 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 281 deaths.

Confirmed cases now well over 1800, with 44 deaths.  Yes, it would be interesting to know the locations of these deaths, & even more interesting to know why the authorities are withholding that information. Because those of us over 65 are now forcefully confined to our homes, we can't travel or "avoid" areas of high deaths anyway...

Yesterday in Ceşme I was reprimanded, first at the Electricity authority for coming in to pay the bill, & then by a traffic policeman who kindly encouraged me to return home a.s.a.p.   Though I was masked & gloved all along I knew I should be at home but really needed to get stuff done, so risked going out.. I imagine the officials tasked with helping us to do these things would be flat out with the many requests, but I did see many elderlies out & about, unmasked & not bothered with keeping distances.

We now have arrangements in place to get all our errands done for us, & banking business done remotely.

Stay safe everyone.. :)

On 23/03/2020 at 20:48, REDDERS said:

All GOC offices are closed until 6th April provisionally.

Update on this. We were told that some Göç Idaresi offices were still open. We called 157 but they could not tell us if our local one is open. Today we drove in and were told by the official that yes, he remembers us and sending me to self isolate (our appointment was a few days after returning from UK). He said that are not processing RPs at the moment, but would probably start again around  mid April. He assured me that as we had finalised the application before the residence had expired there would be no problem.

Stay safe folks.

True 157 have said this to one of my Surgery members ,but they too found the GOC office closed,as i say the last official notification from the GOC was to re open on the 6th April. For those applying in Istanbul the table below shows revised appointment dates.

GOC DATES.jpg

So that might be the reason I still didnt get an appointment date for my RP. I have applied on the 18th March but still didnt get any date either by SMS or e-mail.

The current situation with COVID-19 is probably slowing down other administrations other than healthcare ones.

Thank you for sharing this great information!

It will be interesting to see how this affects forums such as TC...

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ruling-party-to-introduce-further-measures-on-social-media-platforms-153754

On top of a total lockdown by all "non-essential" personnel which started last night, I guess things are going to get even more interesting around here.

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) is preparing further measures on social network platforms under an omnibus bill that will come to the parliament’s agenda as part of the struggle against the novel coronavirus.

The bill aims to further regulate the legal responsibilities of social network providers, such as YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and increase control over the content of these platforms.

If the bill is adopted, the social network providers will be legally liable to the Turkish authorities by appointing their representatives in Turkey and if they fail to comply with the requirements, Turkish authorities will be able to limit their access by Turkish users.

social network providers will be legally liable to the Turkish authorities by appointing their representatives in Turkey and if they fail to comply with the requirements, Turkish authorities will be able to limit their access by Turkish users.

The bill, called the “Draft Law on Amendment in Some Laws,” envisages amendments on the “Regulation of Internet Publications and Combating Crimes Committed through These Publications” and is expected to come to parliament next week.

According to the draft bill seen by the Hürriyet Daily News, the social network providers in Turkey or overseas, which have more than one million daily accesses in the country, will have to authorize a representative in Turkey, with the Information Technologies and Communication Authority (BTK) or administrative authorities having to send a notification for the fulfillment of the requirements.

The BTK will be able to make an on-site examination or have it done at the scene of the event if it deems it necessary to inspect social network providers. Law enforcement officers and other public institutions will provide “inspection support” to the BTK.

The BTK will be able to take to court to reduce the internet traffic bandwidth of the social network provider by 50 percent if it does not fulfill the obligation to determine and report a representative in Turkey. If the social network provider does not appoint a representative within 30 days despite the judicial decision, the BTK may apply to court to reduce the internet traffic bandwidth of the social network provider by 95 percent.

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy group chair Özgür Özel has said the government wants to control social media platforms with this bill.

“It seems that many communication applications, the most well-known being WhatsApp, will be under the control of the state,” he said at a press conference on April 9 and claimed that the AKP was after “opportunism” in the pretext of the struggle against the novel coronavirus.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said social media was being used with aims of “misinformation” and to “deceive the public. Speaking in a televised interview on late April 9, Soylu said the government had taken measures against 4,186 social media accounts.

“Some 667 users have been identified and are being detained and a large part of them are unfortunately abroad. So FETÖ, DHKP-C and the PKK are in an effort to create chaos, to undermine confidence and to stir worry in Turkey,” he said.

WHATSAPP - comfortably the most popular chat app in the UK - has been enlisted by the UK Government to help in the battle against the novel coronavirus pandemic. 

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1261424/WhatsApp-Update-Most-Important-Coronavirus

The UK Government has enlisted the help of the world's most popular chat app, WhatsApp. The Facebook-owned messaging service now plays host to a brand-new chatbot designed to answer any questions, concerns or queries that you have about the ongoing coronavirus pandemic gripping the UK, Europe and the rest of the globe.

The automated service is designed to provide trusted information and the most up-to-date guidance on the Government website. The service can help if you're looking for information on topics such as coronavirus prevention and symptoms, the latest number of cases in the UK, advice on staying at home, travel advice and myth-busting.

To talk to the Government chatbot about the latest advice from health officials, add the number 07860 064 422 (or+447860 064 422 if you're not currently in the UK) to your contacts. Then send the number a message with a simple "hi".

And now it seems the head of the MHP Devlet Bahçeli has put forward a proposal that users must log in to their social media accounts by kimlik numbers..... this is extremely concerning to say the least!  I hope it doesn't succeed. :(

Uh I don't like the sound of that.

14 hours ago, Meral said:

And now it seems the head of the MHP Devlet Bahçeli has put forward a proposal that users must log in to their social media accounts by kimlik numbers..... this is extremely concerning to say the least!  I hope it doesn't succeed. :(

Meral do you have a source for or a link to that information please?

11 hours ago, MEIzmir said:

Meral do you have a source for or a link to that information please?

You've only got to look at any of today's Turkish papers,it's been mentioned in most of them.