Information about Fethiye, Kas, and Koycegiz

Rate this topic

My wife and I moved to Izmir from Canada recently. We're researching and exploring other cities such as Fethiye, Kas, and Koycegiz. We plan to rent a car next week and stay in these 3 cities a few nights to get a feel of the place and if we like them, we'll come back again to explore more.

We're looking for a place with warmer weather than Izmir (Izmir has been quite cold this February); more green places such as forests, large parks, ... for morning runs or evening strolls as opposed to a large city with lots of buildings and shopping malls; a live city so it's not dead in the winter; and finally a city that has a large expat community living there.

I don't like big cities and my wife doesn't like small villages so we hope to find a place in the middle to please both of us. A quick background about us, we're both in our 40s, without children, and working remotely. We're not much into dining or bars, but more into nature, picnic, and outdoor activities.

I'd appreciate if you can recommend good and safe neighbourhoods in above cities, preferably the ones with expat community living there. We plan to live in a sitesi (residential complex) with 24/7 security and a swimming pool. Also, I would appreciate if you can share your experience, views and tips about these cities please. Thanks in advance.

Hi Matrix, welcomed to Turkey Central. I live in one of the small villages near Kaş. If you definitely want a site with 24-7 security and a big pool forget Kaş and Koyceğiz, there are none. Coupled with the fact that they are extremely quiet in the winter you are probably better off looking elsewhere.

That whole area down there has some pleasant seaside towns you might want to drop in on as you drive along. Around Marmaris there's a lot of forest, so one of the towns near there might be what you're looking for. Marmaris itself, like Bodrum though, is very touristy during the summer.

According to your needs I agree with Cukurbagli. Among the options you listed, Fethiye would be the only place you would find those things. Besides the main town, there's the Çalış Beach area which has a pleasant promenade (which extends to the main town), and a pleasant pebble beach. Excellent restaurants and night spots as well. Çalış Beach is where most of the expats live in Fethiye. Outside of Fethiye there are some very nice beaches and natural areas, but you would have to drive to get to them.