FatiM

Landlord Refuses to Terminate Contract Despite Problems

Rate this topic

Hello,

My landlord caused serious problems for me on the day i was to move into the apartment. He sends his agents to tell me that the house is not available for rent at the last minute (I have a document showing my agreement with the agents on that apartment). They show us a different place with the same landlord and we agree that we would not stay the whole contract. The new place had small issues that we dealt with, but the main problem now is the water. It has this black particles that cannot be ignored and have made the water completely unusable, yet he insists that there is no such problem and we cannot leave the apartment. We cannot keep living in this condition. I would really appreciate advise on the matter.

Thanks 

Hi FatiM, welcome to Turkey Central. I think you should report this problem to the local Belediye Zabita

Hi FatiM, 

Sorry for the problem you have been through with the apartment. First of all, a contract that is signed with the agent (unless he/she's authorized with an official power of attorney) but not with the landlord is not deemed to be legally formed and therefore it is not binding for you.   

Furthermore, even if the contract is legitimate but it turns out that the physical conditions of the rental property makes it unliveable, like in your case, contominated tap water. You have the right to evict the property with a notification to the landlord which states the failure of  facility and if not the problem fixed within a reasonable period of time,  you claim your eviction right. 

Just to avoidance of a future dispute, it would also be good to have a proof by doing a video record which demonstrate the contamination. 

Regards,