Sign in to follow this  
lozengelegend

Posting Things To / From Turkey

Rate this topic

Well I am annoyed! On principle more than anything else. I recently received a letter from my mum, posted from the UK. 4 pages in a normal letter envelope, correctly addressed and with the sender's address in the top left corner. It took longer than usual, and when it finally arrived, I found out why - it had been opened by the PTT "for security reasons". It was delivered in a carefully sealed clear plastic sleeve to make sure the contents didn't fall out, the sleeve printed with a note explaining that my post had been opened (for said security reasons) and that if there was anything missing, I could contact the postal service.Technically, there is no problem. The letter wasn't important, there was nothing of value inside, and I did receive it after a while. But I want more! Somewhere in Turkey are letters from my late grandmother, parcels from my friends, and no doubt plenty of other things I'm not even aware of. I'm tired of my mail going missing, or being opened! Not tired enough to ask my friends and family to only use expensive special parcel services to send to me though. :DSo does anyone know... Why does the PTT have the right to open my post? Is there anything I can do to stop it (like have it sent to me with a customs form stuck on)? What are they looking for? Do they open outgoing post too, or just incoming? What are the rules about this?

Hi Laura !The same has happened to me too, and it fairly enrages me :D:angry2: ! I recently posted some photos to Ankara and it took over 3 weeks -- internal mail no less ! Fair enough, the Bayram holiday came in between (they had a week off), but that's still too long ! I've also had letters come in a plastic pocket with a stamp saying opened for Customs inspection. Two years ago a Xmas card from Australia wasn't delivered till April ! We live in a small village and I once took a letter to the post office, sealed with sticky tape on the back because the self-seal wasn't too strong. Later the same day the PTT employee came knocking on our door with the letter, asking why we had sealed it with tape -- that was apparently suspicious !When my daughter had to send a very important document to the UK, we chose to use a private courier -- that was 57 lira (but worth it) ! And so it goes. We've come to expect this sort of thing here, and now make a habit of calculating the risk of using PTT against the possible loss of what we're sending. We try to use email wherever possible.Don't know if they also open outgoing mail, but I wouldn't be surprised. There's also theft by employees, if they think mail may have something valuable inside -- this has been acknowleged as a problem.Nothing much surprises me any more ........ after all ........ this is Turkey !!!!! :)

Hi Laura,I have a friend which sent a poscard to his family from Istanbul. He went back home after a week and they were not getting his postcard. After one month and half, his family recieved his postcard. Was an open postcard... so everyone could read it... but still problems... Yes, this is Turkey!Eva

Same problems here... I shipped a box of videotapes from the US and waited months to receive it. I went to PTT, and they told me that they were customs items, and after 30 days they were disposed of! I never once got a notification that the box had arrived, I went looking for it because I was wondering what had happened. When they delivered the mail at my apartment, the would often give the mail to the Kapaci (building superintendent). I've also seen mail left on the steps or on a table, no security at all. The kapaci didn't seem to like me very much, so I wonder if he "disposed" of the slip the post office sent, that is, if they sent it at all. Anyway, I lost the package forever. I will never use PTT to ship anything again, I'll go with a private delivery service.

Well I guess this is a problem that affects everyone! We are lucky in that our postman is good and as long as our mail gets as far as Altinkum, we can be sure to receive it - it's just the bit BEFORE that....So I've been looking into alternative postal services. Within Turkey, couriers are cheap - we use Aras cargo successfully. But what about TO Turkey? Does anyone have any recommendations? I can't seem to find a service less than

Hello all, Well I was so glad to read your post Laura...in time. I had no luck with the bank on the telephone so had decided to do it all by post, well, I held back in sending it, obviously loath to send such vital information as bank details in a letter, so glad I didn't do it. I am too trusting sometimes for my own good so will wait until I am out in April and conduct my business then.Perhaps we ought to start training the pidgeons again :D

Hmm, pigeons... what a good idea! We could get a Luddite's menagerie going on, I've often thought a horse would make an excellent form of transport in the less paved areas out here!An alternative to posting to your bank might be faxing them instead: I know some transactions are acceptable by fax and that might be one of them :DHSBC Didim's main fax number is +90 256 811 3988.

Thanks Laura for that, but will badger Hubby to get over there as soon as possible to do my bits. LOLBy the way I have just had a look at your Altinkum Post, what a great mine of information it is. I did try to sign the book but it woulodn't load for some reason.I will keep it in my favourites for perusal at my leisure.Keep up the good work.P.S. There goes another animal............(Badger)

Thanks Lesley - actually your guestbook signature worked a treat! let me know if there's any other info you'd like to see on the site, I don't often get the chance to edit it but it's good to know what I should be adding when I DO get the opportunity!