Searching for a Furnished Apartment in Karşıyaka or Konak, Requesting Info on Property Agents and Health Care

Rate this topic

The missus (Turkish), our cat, and me (yabanci) moved to Izmir on the 1st of January. We are temporarily staying in Karşiyaka, Mavişehir. We are in an active search for an urban and long-term (1 year or longer) rental of a furnished apartment (3+1 w 1, 1.5, or 2 bath) in the Karşiyaka (Mavişehir-Atakent-Bostanli), or Konak/Alsancak areas. We do not want to buy.  We like convenience for shopping & coffee-tea-dining and although we have a car we do not plan to use it much as the transit system here is great. May even sell the car,

We have been in contact with a few emlaks and use sahibinden.com and am searching for rentals, but any suggestions for emlaks would be appreciated.

As we are well over middle-aged, retired, on a fixed income and on SGK + private insurance, we would appreciate your recommendations on hospitals, both private and devlet, sağlık ocağı and/or tip merkezi, as well as family practice/internal medicine doctors with whom you have had good experiences.

Hi ME it's good to see you in Turkey Central, I missed your posts on the other forum (madhouse). I can't offer you any real help as I am still living in the Bodrum area but Izmir is one of out target areas.

As far as health care in that area is concerned you have made a good choice as the area has a myriad of hospitals and clinics both private and public. I have visited several over the last few years and can recommend all of them. I hope you don't have to use their services too often though and stay in good health. Having a Turkish spouse does help to fast track you through life here.

I send my best wishes to you and your wife and hope you get settled in quick time,

Pete.

I've lived in several areas of Izmir including Bostanlı, Alsancak and Konak, and one area called Kahramanlar. That came to mind when I read your topic. There are two or three hospitals around Kahramanlar as well as various doctors offices, clinics, and businesses that serve the hospitals.

Kahramanlar is in easy walking distance to the shopping and social life places around Alsancak like the walking street of Kıbrıs Şehitler Caddesi. As I recall the rent prices are cheaper there also. It's a back neighborhood and there are some quiet streets there, and at night it should be quiet because there aren't any bars or night clubs there.

I don't know what it's like today, but you might visit the neighborhood and see if it's what you're looking for.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ken, we did find a place literally overlooking Kultur Park in Mimar Sinan Mah. It took us quite a while and looked at a lot of places before we found one we liked. Now if coronavirus does not upset our plans, we are scheduled to move on April 01. 

I'm glad to hear you found a good place! I think that neighborhood is the best considering what you mentioned earlier, as well as for the price. Practically anything worth getting to is close by, including Kültürpark, which is enjoyable for its events and also a stroll. I hope you enjoy it!