Paying the Deposit for an Apartment, Setting Up Utilities Before Residence Permit is Received

Rate this topic

By law, the two of you can open a bank account and keep the deposit there. Neither of you will be able to withdraw it until three months (I believe) after the rental contract ends. At that time you can just withdraw it. If the landlord wants to withdraw it they have to show that there's a court award for the money.

It may very well be that your landlord refuses to do it that way (even though it's in the law). If he or she refuses there isn't much I can tell you, you'd have to decide if you want to let the landlord keep it. Hopefully they'll give it back to you when the time comes.

So the common practice is that I provide one month rent as a deposit to the landlord and they refund it once I move out?

I have a few questions about renting and I'd appreciate if you can help me out.

I understand it may take a couple of months before I get an interview appointment and my Kimlik card arrives. In the meanwhile can I register the water, electricity, and gas bills under my name before my card arrives or they stay under landlord's name until I get my card?

Also, before signing the rental contract, should I ask for landlord's Tapu (ownership document), as well as last bills of water, electricity and gas to make sure they're the actual owner and there are no outstanding amounts on those bills?

I apologize if some of these questions sound stupid but I'd like to make sure not to offend the landlords by asking too much while I keep myself safe.

So the common practice is that I provide one month rent as a deposit to the landlord and they refund it once I move out?

Yes, if there are no damages. If there are damages, the cost to fix them comes out of the deposit.

In the meanwhile can I register the water, electricity, and gas bills under my name before my card arrives or they stay under landlord's name until I get my card?

I've successfully registered water and electricity while waiting for my residence permit, using my passport and a copy of my rental agreement. The only thing foreigners can't register without a residence permit is telephone services.

Also, before signing the rental contract, should I ask for landlord's Tapu (ownership document)

Certainly you'd have a right to see that, to make sure the person renting you the place actually owns it. I've never heard of anybody doing it before, but it sounds like a good idea!

as well as last bills of water, electricity and gas to make sure they're the actual owner and there are no outstanding amounts on those bills?

Again something I haven't heard of anybody doing before. But if the account isn't in your name and under your tax number or foreigner identification number, you won't be liable for these previous bills.

One thing I'll add here. Your rental contract is valid for one year. After one year it automatically renews for another year... it doesn't switch to month-by-month. By the law, to stop the contract from automatically renewing, you're supposed to go to a notary and get a ihbarname, which is a notarial notice. Notaries regularly send them so they'll know what you need. What happens is that you announce that you have no intention of continuing to rent the apartment and will be moving out on a certain date. Then you sign it before the notary. Then the notary mails it (not you) to the landlord at their official address. This is a way of legally proving delivery of the notice and also the contents of the envelope. 

What "could" happen is the landlord could deny that you notified them you were moving out and use this as an excuse to keep your deposit. If you go to the notary and have a notarial notice sent to him or her, they can't say they weren't notified.

You can learn more about renting an apartment here: 

How to Find and Rent an Apartment in Turkey

Good luck with your rental, and feel free to ask any questions you might have, all of us have gone through this for the first time and it can be confusing!

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I was told that I should sign the rental contact at a notary office and notarize it and pay the first month rent and deposit using a bank transfer. Is that a common practice?

Can I get a home internet service before my residence permit arrives? Do you recommend Vodafone or Turk Telecom?

I think Ken and some of folk on this forum deserve a medal. Thank goodness there are places like this where people can check up on the facts and get advice. Ken's comment about the right attitude to live here is spot on.

The first year we moved here there was a lot to do and sometimes I was left spitting feathers at the nonsensical stuff that you come across. I would get agitated and annoyed with the stupidity of some of the things that happen, and I speak the language! So, I can't even begin to think what it must be like for others. 

Scroll forward 4 years and I just laugh about it, have a tea, take my time, and, as Ken said, do one thing at a time!

Correct, rental contract should signed at notary. All rent payments needs to be done through bank transfer and it's common to pay first month rent in advance. 

I think you can get internet service with your rental contract. It depends on your budget and internet usage but my recommendation would be TTnet.

Something like 50mbps speed with unlimited usage. I checked both Vodafone and TTnet websites and it seems Vodafone prices are a bit lower and they offer free TV service as well. Any particular reason for recommending TTnet?

I used google translate but it seems both companies ask for 24 month commitment. Do all internet services come with 24 month commitment or there are month to month options as well?

In this case Vodafone seems a better option for you. I recommended TTNet because providing wide-range of service and fiber connection where Turkcell failed to do.

As far as I know all providers requesting 2 year commitment but let me check maybe Turkcell has something useful. There will be cancellation fee if you wish to cancel the internet before date of end of contract. 

I was told that I should sign the rental contact at a notary office and notarize it and pay the first month rent and deposit using a bank transfer. Is that a common practice?

It's not required, but you should sign it in front of a notary. You'll also need a notarized copy of your rental contract for your residence permit application, and some notaries don't want to give copies of rental contracts which weren't notarized when they were signed. Not all of them refuse to do this, but some do. Besides, you can get your contract signed and also get a notarized copy of it at the same time, so it's worth the hassle. Note the document number on the back after it's been notarized. If you need another notarized copy of it later (like for an extension) you can just take that number back to the same notary and they'll give you another copy of it. It's cheaper that way.

Can I get a home internet service before my residence permit arrives? Do you recommend Vodafone or Turk Telecom?

I don't think so. As far as I know you have to have a Yabancı Kimlik Numarası (Foreigner ID Number or YKN) before you can get telephone services. You get your YKN when you get your residence permit card. You can get one earlier in extreme circumstances, but extreme circumstances don't include wanting to get a telephone hooked up unfortunately.

Thanks, @as012a2568 for the positive feedback. We really have some excellent mentors here who go out of their way to help others... I'm grateful for that. The best reward I think we could get is that people share Turkey Central on Facebook and other social media sites, or just recommend it to anyone who needs it. :)