loveturkey

Buying Medication without prescription

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am going to Istanbul on a holiday and as i knew medication prices are lot cheaper in turkey so i thought to buy a few boxes for my Mom's medication. How should i know if it needs prescription.

and If yes, does a prescription from another country works?

In Turkey, all medications (even those we might buy in a grocery store like cold medication) is sold at an eczane (pharmacy). So you could just ask the pharmacist. I haven't seen anything on it specifically, but I seriously doubt they would accept a prescription from a doctor in another country.

As Ken has pointed out, a prescription from another country is irrelevant here in Turkey. Having said that, I know that more than one or two eczaneler in our local area are more than happy to sell "prescription only" items, particularly antibiotics. Just because it says “Reçete ile satılır” ( Prescription Only ) on the box, it doesn't necessarily follow that it is unobtainable without a prescription. You might want to ask a few chemists in the local area you are travelling to. You might get lucky.