What Is It?

Rate this topic

besiktasbob

I've already given the first hint - it's in Istanbul. :) But what is it? To those of you that know what and where this is located, as a 'tour guide' how would you explain this to your friends if you happen to take them for a visit? Let's have some fun and see some creative responses.

post-2102-1224366555_thumb.jpg

I know! I know! It's a big pillar! What did I win? Actually I haven't the faintest idea, I'm at a loss... great game, though!

Want us to do your Tukey residence permit application, get your tax number and health insurance, and make the payment of your residence permit fees for you? Then visit our other website, TurkeyPermit.com.

Well, it is actually a big pillar. :) I am very ignorant about a lot of these places, I admit it! But yes, let's wait a while and see if anybody guesses correctly. I'm looking forward to the answer! This is a great game. Now this is just a guess, is it a place where someone could secure a slave? There was something similar in Ephesus, where a slave would be secured to a place until his master returned. Again, that's just a guess.

Want us to do your Tukey residence permit application, get your tax number and health insurance, and make the payment of your residence permit fees for you? Then visit our other website, TurkeyPermit.com.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok... I'm not sure what happened to the replies... but someone did guess this picture before the upgrade to the new server. It's in the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. It's referred to as the Stele of St Gregory Thaumaturgus. As you walk into the mosque, it's to your left. It is rumored that if a person places their thumb in the hole, and is able to turn their hand a complete 360 degrees and pull their thumb out 'wet', then their wish or prayer will come true. Just to make other tourist happy and think their wishes were guaranteed, I used to give the hole a 'wet willy' on occasion. :lol: (Ok... I'm lying about that last part.)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, sorry for my late reply, sometimes these posts get buried under others. I've been to the Hagia Sofia three times, and for some reason, I never even noticed this!!! And "wet willie?" well you must be an American! I'm planning a trip around Turkey in the Spring to collect lots of local info and write some travel guides, this theme, "what is this" is a great topic for the forum. I hope to contribute!