Motorcycle Import

Rate this topic

I'm currently working in Kuwait. I'd like to ship my bike to Turkey, but I don't plan on working there. I'm just looking for a place to park it for now, and since my family lives there, I figured I would send it there for storage. We've been given a tremendous amount of information, but nothing seems to be reliable. I've lived in Turkey and even purchased two cars there, and recently sold one. But now, I am just trying to bring my bike in through the Port of Mersin. I was told that I would have to have a residency permit and my passport in order to pick the bike up. Ok... I can deal with that. But there has to be more to it than just paying a "small customs fee" and registration fee for me to pick my bike up. I was also told that if I ride the bike into the country, I would only pay a customs fee at the border, register it for MA-MC plates. From there I would just need to inform the local customs police that I will park the bike at my apartment while I work outside the country. (Sounds a little unorthodox, but it comes from a trusted source.) Any idea or suggestions?

Hi,I dont really have any answers to your questions, but if the same rules apply for bringing in a bike as they do for a car I wouldn't even think about it. Anyway, just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I am sure someone will be along later and will have the answers for you.:read[1]:

I'm currently working in Kuwait. I'd like to ship my bike to Turkey, but I don't plan on working there. I'm just looking for a place to park it for now, and since my family lives there, I figured I would send it there for storage. We've been given a tremendous amount of information, but nothing seems to be reliable. I've lived in Turkey and even purchased two cars there, and recently sold one. But now, I am just trying to bring my bike in through the Port of Mersin. I was told that I would have to have a residency permit and my passport in order to pick the bike up. Ok... I can deal with that. But there has to be more to it than just paying a "small customs fee" and registration fee for me to pick my bike up. I was also told that if I ride the bike into the country, I would only pay a customs fee at the border, register it for MA-MC plates. From there I would just need to inform the local customs police that I will park the bike at my apartment while I work outside the country. (Sounds a little unorthodox, but it comes from a trusted source.) Any idea or suggestions?

I've not tried it but everyone on any forum I've looked at advises against importing cars and I think the same rules apply to bikes. See the section on this forum.

If you brought it in as a tourist for 6 months, if you left the country during that time you would have to take it to the customs and they charge you (I think it's 7ytl but not certain about that) per day.

Sorry that's not very helpful.

Thanks for the welcome Abi. I will list my intro in Meet & Greet. If I happen to come along some really valuable information I'll post it here. IN the meantime, I'll look through the forum to se if there may be a few clues or other entries I can help out with. Good to meet you.