nathanielr

Working remotely in Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi there,

I'm planning on moving to Turkey sometime next year pending approval by my employer. 

I'm wondering what the process in terms of tax and visa is for those working remotely for a European company? I am currently living and paying taxes in Germany.

Thanks!

Hi there Nathanilr,

Assuming that you are going to live here permanently then after your current tax year ends you will start to pay tax in Turkey since Turkey has a dual taxation agreement with Germany.  You have no need for a work permit since your work is based in Germany and you are just working remotely but you will need a residents permit and details on how to get one are listed on these forums under a separate topic. 

So, arrive in Turkey and apply for your residents permit. Once you have your residence permit you will cease to pay tax in Germany at the end of your current tax year which is the calendar year in Germany i.e. January to December the same as in Turkey. You will need to go to the Turkish tax office and register for a tax reference number and then apply for the double taxation personal certificate. If you do not speak Turkish you might need to enlist the help of an accountant who speaks English or German.

http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/Germany-Individual-Foreign-tax-relief-and-tax-treaties

Hi nathanielr,

Sorry I don't have a link to anything specific. There is a really good website for this kind of thing called DocMartin's surgery for Expats which has a whole host of important info although in this instance you just need to take a trip to the local tax office with your accountant if you have one. 

Web: https://docmartinssurgeryforexpatsinturkeyblog.wordpress.com

Like you I already had a tax file number from having previously lived in Turkey. This makes things a lot easier for you.

If you speak Turkish then all you need to do is to go to your local tax office ( Vergi Dairesi ) and complete a declaration form ( beyaname ) applying for tax status. The certificate then takes about a week or so to arrive. It isn't difficult and you might get lucky and find someone in the tax office that speaks English or German if you don't have anyone to help you. It will help if your employer writes a letter explaining that you are applying for tax status in Turkey and confirming that they are employing you from their base in Germany. Also take any pay slips, end of year returns about your last income. For me it was quite straight forward once the local tax office had checked up what they needed to do.