Rate this topic

So I've been seeing rumors that to obtain a residence permit after January 2020, you must have a good reason to stay that is satisfactory for immigration to approve. Property, business, going to a uni., training. But I didn't see the reason for extending your "touristic stay" aka just to live there.

Wondering if there is some truth to this rumor?

Recent posts on FB confirm it, but apparently it doesn't apply to all nationalities:

"one operator on the 157 helpline stated to a caller that this ''should not'' apply to those applying with passports issued in the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Norway, Chile, New Zealand, China and Russia . [It is to be assumed that after Brexit the UK would be added to the above list.]"

14 hours ago, REDDERS said:

Yes,thats my text copied & pasted word for word!.

Yes, hence the quotation marks.

I also just called 157 to ask about my status as Lebanese citizen, in the off chance Lebanon was spared, but no such luck. 

Hmm, so I guess it's pretty true. I guess we have to wait and see. But what really concerns me is the "should not" apply to certain nationalities which makes the limbo worse. I'll be wanting to stay and house hunting for the first few years I arrive in Turkey, hopefully they'll allow a residence permit for that reason.

You can become a Turkish Citizen by purchasing a property in Turkey that is worth a minimum of $250,000. I heard that might be dropping to $150,000 dollars sometime soon. An alternative to scrabbling around with visas all the time for those that can afford it that is.