Omer Varol

Rumors: Now a Reason is Required to Live in Turkey

Rate this topic

So I've been seeing rumors that to obtain a residence permit after January 2020, you must have a good reason to stay that is satisfactory for immigration to approve. Property, business, going to a uni., training. But I didn't see the reason for extending your "touristic stay" aka just to live there.

Wondering if there is some truth to this rumor?

Recent posts on FB confirm it, but apparently it doesn't apply to all nationalities:

"one operator on the 157 helpline stated to a caller that this ''should not'' apply to those applying with passports issued in the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Norway, Chile, New Zealand, China and Russia . [It is to be assumed that after Brexit the UK would be added to the above list.]"

Hmm, so I guess it's pretty true. I guess we have to wait and see. But what really concerns me is the "should not" apply to certain nationalities which makes the limbo worse. I'll be wanting to stay and house hunting for the first few years I arrive in Turkey, hopefully they'll allow a residence permit for that reason.

You can become a Turkish Citizen by purchasing a property in Turkey that is worth a minimum of $250,000. I heard that might be dropping to $150,000 dollars sometime soon. An alternative to scrabbling around with visas all the time for those that can afford it that is.

Hi, 

I have an appointment before couple of days to extend my residence permit, they said we will stop renew the residace permit for "tourism purpose" and they told me: if you come after 1.1.2020 we will never renew for this purpose.

I ask if I have real state in Turkey, they said we will give for 1 year

They renew for me 6 month only. 

I hope this information will help any body in the future. 

Regards 

I am not sure if I am reading this right but it looks as if the Turkish Government are clamping down on auto-renewals of the Tourist Residency Permit. As I understand it you can apply to have the Residency Permit for 1 year but then those who are renting and who are not property owners will not get their RP renewed a second time around. People may leave and then come back after 1 year and get another Tourist RP but again the term is only for one year before a break is needed again.

It would appear that they are trying to clamp down on all the RP owners who overstay or work illegally in the country. Are there exclusions for citizens of some countries? It doesn't look that way from what I am reading.

Does anyone have any clarification on this? I know a couple of my friends might be affected if this is the case. 

The 157 helpline state that this ''should not'' apply to those applying with passports issued in United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, which are member countries of the EU or Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development,

Cyprus, Croatia, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden,

Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Portugal,

Australia, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, USA

China, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Mexico, Norway, Chile, New Zealand

Republic of the Russian Federation.

To renew Touristic Residence Permit 1 term more before new regulation starts, your extension Touristic Residence Permit application must be made in the online system before 31 Dec 2019, with appointment date booked after 01 Jan 2020 will be accepted.

I saw this posted online, and it made me think: Is it possible to apply for renewal several months before one's residence permit expires? 

Update: Answer is no. Can't apply for extension too early. It's gotta be within last 60 days of first permit duration.

The new rule is that you can't use touristic reason more than once for a residence permit. It's only once per person for the first time application. If you are renewing, your reason has to change to either work or real estate owner, student or business.