Jump to content

Married UK woman due to divorce

Recommended Posts

My Turkish husband wants to return back to Turkey (we currently live in the UK and I plan to stay here) and get a divorce from me. I have no money or assets so I,m not able to use a solicitor. Can he divorce me while he is in Turkey and me still living in the UK, I don't plan on ever returning to Turkey.

Im happy to sign any documents that he sends over to the UK but I'm not willing to divorce him at my expense. (its his idea not mine)

He wants to remarry and have kids as unfortunately I can't have children due to medical issues.

Because he wants to re-marry asap he will be looking for a quick divorce but I really can't see this as being any benefit to me at all. (he's getting a arranged marriage)  I don't want to be awkward but what would be the damage to me and what would be the process if I only waited for letters to sign from him. I simple can'y afford a solicitor.

I'll agree to the divorce if that helps him build a new life, I still love him dearly.

It doesn't bother me if I remain married for years to come(on paper) as I feel I have absolutely nothing to gain or lose and I plan never to marry again.

Would he need the red book and is it a good idea for me to get a copy of this.

Many thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Libby, 

There are 2 legal ways which you can follow under your circumstances; first one is you both file a consensual divorce case before the UK court and finalize it there. Once you get the official divorce decree over there in UK, your husband can have the divorce recognised here in Turkey with another follow-up case what we call "Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Court Judgments in Turkey". As you are in cooperation with your husband in terms of finalizing the procedures, your husband can hire solicitor here who can help you out and conclude the things quickly.   

2nd way would be the one which your husband files a divorce case here in Turkey and you both (or only your husband) hire solicitor to be represented before the family court. According to family law practice here, if your husband files a consensual (uncontested) divorce case, you both need to be present in the hearing at least once (solicitors representation not enough). If you can't show up, then the case automatically turns into a contested divorce case which both sides are in need to bring verbal witnesses to prove that things didnt work out between you and your husband. Qualification of witnesses are also important and needs to be evaluated carefully before proceeding with this 2nd way.




Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely worth doing it in the UK LibbyLackLuster,

Just apply through downloading the form and following the instructions on gov.uk and get him to pay the application fee since it is him that wants the divorce. You won't need a solicitor unless as Eglegal suggests your partner is willing to pay for one. Details here: 



Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...