Peter Keri

Can I apply for a Residence Permit before I arrive in Turkey?

Rate this topic

I am currently in Turkey with a residence permit that expires in November.  I plan to make a two month trip abroad to Asia and then return in February.  I tried to extend the permit before leaving but the appointment date they gave me will be after I leave.

So I'm wondering - as I already know when I'll be back is it possible for me to make the appointment in advance so that I don't have to wait for 1-2 months just to get the appointment?  I did see that on the form it had an option to put "expected date of arrival in Turkey" and I can get confirmation the appointment date by email.  When I get back I will need to apply for a visa and to do that I need to get the RP as quickly as possible. 

I don't know. I talked to someone who handles residence permits for foreigners and they weren't sure. I don't know anybody who has tried it. I heard from someone recently that they are planning to allow people to apply for residence permits from other countries, so maybe they have implemented that. You can always try it and see.

If it works, please let us know! :)

OK, thank you, I will try to do it.  When I filled out the form last time there was a field entitled "Date of arrival or Expected Date of arrival in Turkey" so it seems like it would be acceptable to put a future date. 

I'm planning to come back around 1st February so I'll try to fill out the online form in December given that it's taking around 2 months right now to get an appointment. I already have the health insurance.