Marcus Tirkel

Staying over two 90/180 periods - do I need a residence permit?

Rate this topic

Dear forum,
I’m from Sweden and moved to Istanbul together with my girlfriend to join her for her exchange semester at the Istanbul Technical University. The 90/180 rule applies to me as a tourist, however, as I have been entering and exiting the country several times this year (and will at least 2 more times this year) I am not sure how to count and whether I will need a residence permit or not.

I already went here on April 18th for vacation and stayed for 11 days. On the 28th of August I came back to Turkey with my girlfriend for her school start, exited again for a week, and then came back again. I will leave again on the 28th of October and in total I will then have spent 67 days in Turkey (including the days in april). Thing is, if we count from 18th of April (my first entry) and 180 days onward, that period would end 14th of October.

Does this mean, that by my time of re-entry to Turkey (which will be on the 2d of November), a new 180 day period will start of which I can utilise another 90 days of stay on a tourist visa?

All the best,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

To count the days you've been in Turkey and how it affects you, find a "Schengen visa calculator" on Google. You can also download it as an app for your smart phone. It's called a "Schengen visa calculator" because it is designed for those countries who follow an agreed visa regime in Europe, however Turkey also uses these rules in it's visa regime.

You can use it to enter all of your entries into and exits from Turkey. The calculator will tell you how many days you have been in Turkey during the previous 180 days and how many days you have left.

Being from Sweden, you are restricted to a maximum of 90 days in a 180-day period. This 180-day period is always counted back from "today." It doesn't re-set if you leave Turkey and return. No matter how many times you come and go to and from Turkey, or if a person gets a new visa in the case of people who require a visa. It is always a maximum of 90 days during the 180-day span on the calendar which starts 180 days ago and ends on whatever day "today" is when the calculation is done.

If you want to stay longer than the rules allow, you must apply for a residence permit. You can do this any time within 60 days of reaching your maximum amount of days in Turkey.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your answer, that clarifies a lot to me. The only thing I don't understand is your last sentence: "...you must apply for a residence permit. You can do this any time within 60 days of reaching your maximum amount of days in Turkey". Do you mean I need to apply before I have 60 days left? Or do you mean I can apply up to the last day before my days are finished? (I have heard the latter version, where as long as the application is received before your maximum days are reached, you will be fine)

All the best,

Marcus

Do you mean I need to apply before I have 60 days left? Or do you mean I can apply up to the last day before my days are finished?

Yes. To make things simple, let's say you have a 180-day visa which allows you to stay for up to 90 days. So you come to Turkey and stay for all 90 days in a row. After you have been here 30 days, then you are within 60 days of the end of your time allowed in Turkey. So you can apply for a residence permit. Or, you can apply at any time from that 60-day mark until the day just before your visa runs out. Don't wait until the last day though. If you have any difficulties and can't get the application done in time you'll have to leave the country.

I have heard the latter version, where as long as the application is received before your maximum days are reached, you will be fine

That's correct. The only problem is if you have to travel before you go to your appointment. Even though you will be legally in the country with the downloaded and printed residence permit application, if you have to travel for some reason, you will have an expired visa and no residence permit.

Thank you Ken, this is very helpful. Actually, as to your last comment about leaving the country, that's a question that popped up as well. Because I will actually need to leave the country for a week by the 2 december (by then I will have 3 days left on 90 days). Before then of course I will have applied (my application will be sent in a weeks time). Now the question remains: if they have not processed my application before I leave in december, will that affect my application somehow? Meaning, can you leave/enter the country while the application is processing if you still have time left on the 90/180 visa? Or can I still enter the country in december with 3 days left and an application processing? I guess they may have questions at the airport and want to see that I will exit in 3 days if the application has not processed...Finally, I'm starting to realise the time is tight. Do you have any insights as to how to speed things up? Maybe hand in my application in Nevsehir Cappadocia as I'm going there next week. or are there any firms that can help with express applications? Thank you!

The figures shown within that link are wrong....The residence Permit fee is $80 for one year ,also if you convert the card fee of $ 30 that equates to 176.50tl where the actual cost for the card is just 89 tl.

As for the private health insurance the annual premium is age related so i cannot see how they can state any cost until they know your age. ..looks like a bit of a rip off.

I don't know exactly how the dates will work for you, but if you apply 60 days before your visa expires, there's a good chance you'll be able to attend your appointment before you have to leave, and have as much time as possible left on your visa. At the end of your appointment, they'll give you a Residence Permit Application Document, which serves as a temporary residence permit until you get your card. That keeps you legal in Turkey after your visa expires, and with that you can leave the country for up to 14 days and return, as long as you also have the receipts for the payment of the fees as well.

However, if you're in Istanbul, they may just give you a letter which says you have applied, but it isn't a Residence Permit Application Document. 

Meaning, can you leave/enter the country while the application is processing if you still have time left on the 90/180 visa? Or can I still enter the country in december with 3 days left and an application processing?

Yes. If you still have time left on your visa, you can go and come as much as you want. That's what I was referring to about applying as early as possible, the more time you still have left on your visa the better, because you're covered by your visa if you have to travel before your appointment.

To anticipate a question, I'm in Antalya, and when I applied for a residence permit extension recently, I was able to book an appointment in the following week. The only problem might be if you're in Istanbul, where they're a lot more busy, and you may not be able to book an appointment in such a short time. If your visa runs out before your appointment and you have to travel, it's a more complicated hassle than I want to get into here.

Maybe hand in my application in Nevsehir Cappadocia as I'm going there next week. or are there any firms that can help with express applications? Thank you!

You have to apply at the DGMM office where you are going to live. And, according to a conversation I recently had with the DGMM office in Antalya, you can't change your address until after you receive your residence permit card. 

The firms I know of don't get any preferential service. The DGMM is in no way connected to any of these private companies.

Good catch, Redders... I met the owner of the company who runs that website earlier this year. Apparently they process a huge number of residence permits every month here in Antalya. I had also seen this on their price list and asked him about it. Apparently, what they're doing is charging a "flat price" for the service. It's not the actual prices which are charged by the government or the insurance company, it's what you pay them. My impression was that they did this to keep things simple, because the residence permit fee varies according to nationality and exchange rates, and the insurance cost varies according to age, and it is less confusing to just have one fixed number.