metin123

Dual Citizen Turkish military postponement

Rate this topic

My friend, who is a dual citizen, postponed his military till 38 years old. 

He wants to come to Turkey to live for 1 or 2 years during this time, he is 29 now.  

Does anyone know what is the penalty for living in Turkey for 1-2 years while on postponement? 

I read that you can only stay in Turkey for 184 days per year or you risk having your postponement cancelled.  

Will he have to pay a fine when he tries to leave? sent to military? etc?

Thanks in advance for anyones help on this matter.

I've never heard of the 184 days rule. The rule is that all Turkish citizens have to serve in the military. However, if he is a naturalized citizen, that is, he became a Turkish citizen, and is over 24 years old, he doesn't have to serve. But if he was born an Turkish citizen, that is, had a Turkish mother or father, he will have to serve in some capacity if he returns to Turkey.

He can always pay 30.000 TL and get out of military service. There are numerous ways and he is Turkish, it should be known what his options are. Especially if he knew how to defer it. If he doesn't have the financial resources, then if he chooses to live full-time, he will have to serve. Any employment will ask for verification his miltary service has been completed, that can be obtained from E-Devlet, but I'm guessing in his case, there is nothing there, so he would have to go to the local miliatry coordinator to have the form printed. 

Ok let me put the question in a different way.  If a person postpones there military service till 38,  and he stays in Turkey for 7 months on a visit, will they allow him to leave to do dovizli askerlik back home? because like i said i think there is a 6 month limit to stay in turkey per year. thx

Those are specifics he would really need to contact someone in the government office to know. That's above my pay grade I'm afraid. I don't want to give an answer one way or the other as that could have life changing impacts on your friend. 

Thanks to Justin for sending me this:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-parliament-ratifies-new-military-service-law-144475

This is the same thing I have been hearing. ALL Turkish males must do six months of military service. If they pay 31,000 TL, they only have to do a one-month training tour. Until now this has only been offered from time to time, to men in certain age ranges. But according to this article, it has been made permanent.

So the way I'm reading it, your friend is still expected to do military service, of some kind, at some time. The best case scenario is that he does one month and pays the money to get out of the other five months, but he can't pay to get out of it completely.

I don't know what would happen if he returns to Turkey, but he may get a notice telling him to report for registration, and perhaps also, to do his time.

If I have this wrong, anyone, feel free to correct...