Af De

citizenship through marriage - istanbul

Rate this topic

hi all,

had anyone here got their citizenship through marriage in istanbul?

could you please give me a time line for what had happened

e.g.:

month-year: submitted papper

month-year: finger prints followed by interview

month-year: got a message asking to go get appointment with the Vali

month-year: Vali interview

month-year: got citizenship

thank you in advance

My process didn't go like this. I submitted the paperwork and did the interview in the same day. Got an email saying 7 months later it had been approved and I could head to the nearest consulate to pick-up my Kimlik, etc. This was done originally in Istanbul, but we were living overseas. 

Sorry, not much help I don't suppose. 

It is easier. You just have to be married to a Turkish citizen for at least three years. You can become a Turkish citizen by marriage by applying at the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs or Nüfus) in Turkey or at any Turkish embassy or consulate if you're outside of Turkey.

My experience was very similar to JustinM's in terms of the fact that I submitted the paperwork and then waited for the approval. There was no interview as such , and I did have to wait around a year before it was finalised. I understand why you are asking the questions that you are asking but unfortunately there is no set time limit for this. Each town and city is different. Each overseas Embassy or Consulate is different, sometimes quite considerably. You could ask 20 people and they will all give you a different reply with differing experiences.

The main thing is following the procedure. Just get your paperwork right and submit it. If you speak good Turkish it will be much easier but if you don't then there is no need to panic. Yes, you might be called for an interview, and there are quite a few stories about this if you Google it. Howerver, if you are married to a Turkish citizen and everything is in order, it is unlikely that you will get refused if your Turkish is weak. Just make the effort as best you can.

The process might take you anywhere from 6 months to 18 months to complete.

The other thing to point out is that if you name has a W or a character that is not in the Turkish alphabet then your name might end up being slightly different on your ID. Example William Smith might end up as Villiam Smith. The letters Q, W, and X of the ISO basic Latin alphabet do not occur in the Turkish alphabet (replacements for these letters are K, V and KS ) so you could end up with your driving license looking different from your ID.