Rate this topic

Hey all,

I would like to know if anyone has information on obtaining a RP for a spouse (both are not Turkish citizens). Or will my spouse have to go through the same process as me?

What if I'm the sole income person that can sustain both of us, how will my spouse be able to prove that she can live off of the RP requirements.

As I know there isn't a set rule on income requirements for the RP, what is a good rule of thumb? Just above the minimum wage in Turkey?

Thanks everyone!

Wife will have to go through the same process. you will need to get your marriage certificate translated (if not in Turkish) and notarised. then she will be recognised as a dependent. personally I would put enough money in the bank for a few months (I would still work on 1000USD per month for two persons). I think the bank account will need to be a joint account or separate accounts for each of you.

We have our marriage certificate apostilled and translated into Turkish, will they want it notarized by someone in Turkey as well?

Also would a joint Turkish bank account will do? Do credit card limits count as well?

I would like to know if anyone has information on obtaining a RP for a spouse (both are not Turkish citizens). Or will my spouse have to go through the same process as me?

Yes. You will both need residence permits.

What if I'm the sole income person that can sustain both of us, how will my spouse be able to prove that she can live off of the RP requirements.

The marriage certificate will allow her to use your income as her income as well.

Your income must be at least the minimum wage for Turkey. For 2019, that is 2,020 Lira per month. Then you must have at least one third of that amount more for each family member. So you would need to prove that you have 2,707 TL per month in income. You'll need, at minimum, to show the last six months of your bank account statements to prove this. In Istanbul and sometimes in other provinces, they may want a letter from the provider of your income or a letter from the bank showing the last six months deposits and withdrawals.

One thing that wasn't mentioned. Any public document from a foreign country must be legalized for use in Turkey. This is done with an apostille, or through the Turkish embassy or consulate in your home country. After that, you need to go to a yemenli tercüman or yemenli çevirmen, both mean "sworn translator." That means they are government-authorized translators. The translator will then have the translation, of both the document and the apostille or other legalizing document translated into Turkish. Then the translation will be notarized. The translator will take care of this. After it is legalized and translated, you can submit the notarized translation with your application.

Before you submit it with your application package, get the notary's document number from the stamp they will put on the back of the notarized translation. That way, if you ever need it again, you can go to the notary with the document number and  they will give you another copy of it, and you won't need to get it translated again.

See this about legalizing foreign public documents.

Just to make sure... the copies and the translation have the notary stamp, correct?

The copies of the marriage certificate and the apostille need to have a notary stamp. This is the notary certifying that they are authentic copies.

Then the translation needs a notary stamp. This is the translator swearing before the notary that it is a true and accurate translation of the documents.The translator must be a sworn translator, authorized by the Turkish government to do such translations. They usually work with a local notary.

All of this can be done as part of the same document, that is, some pages of the notarized document will be the copies of the foreign document, and some pages will be the translation of the foreign document, with all pages having the same notary stamp.

If that is what you have, then that is all you need.

Passports never have to be apostilled, because they are already internationally-accepted documents. You will, however, need to get a notarized copy of it to submit with the application. If the passport has western characters and numbers, it doesn't have to be translated. You can just go to a notary and he or she will make a copy and stamp it, it maybe takes 20 minutes.

Hi Omer, 

On 21/08/2019 at 16:48, Omer Varol said:

We have our marriage certificate apostilled and translated into Turkish, will they want it notarized by someone in Turkey as well?

Will our passports have to be apostilled as well?

Yes, notary certification is also needed for the marriage certificate. Plus, I do not know where you have made the translation but marriage certificate needs to be translated by one of the sworn translator who is accredited to the notary public that you use. In other words, translation is deemed to be a "translation" in the eyes of legal authorities if and only you have it made through one of the accredited ones to the notary.  Easiest way to figure that out is to simply contact to the notary office that you will use, they give you the name and the contact info of their Eng-Tur translators. 

Passports do not have to be Apostille certified but needs to be sworn translated (into Turkish) and notarized as the way I have referred under the preceding paragraph. 

Goodluck!